PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Hey everyone, I need some help with directions for applying beeswax to some of my Meerschaum pipes. I have one that doesnt seem to have any on it, so it needs a full treatment, its rusticated if that means anything. Then I have a calabash and a claw pipe that just need another coat for maintenance and coloring purposes.
Can any one give me directions on how to go about doing that, any help would be appreciated!
Thanks everyone

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
get a pound of wax in a double boiler, heat wax to about 150, remove stem and plug the bowl and shank, submerge for 15 minutes, set aside til cool smoke as usual.
Or you could do like me and just rub the wax on it while you smoke.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I cut off a sliver of beeswax and rub it in as I smoke. You have to be careful not to get dirt in it, but it works. Then get a clean cotton cloth (like a t-shirt) and buff off the excess wax after it cools. I did this a couple times to mine and it brought out some amazing hidden patina!

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
The bees produce wax from glands on their abdomen. Be careful to hold the bee in such a way so as not to get stung. This would not only be painful, but a waste of a good bee. It may take many bees to produce enough wax to cover the entire pipe.
I hope that helps.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I use the Burts Bees lip balm in the stick. I rub it on while I am smoking . The warm pipe absorbs the wax very easily, work it in to the contours of the pipe with your fingers. By the time you finish smoking you can start to buff the wax to a nice shine.

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
Sounds like an opportunity to sell trained bees. Imagine the profits!

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I have pure besswax, is that the right kind, I have heard of using white refined as well. I doubt it should make too muchb of a difference

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
No difference really, they have the same stuff. With the pure you may get you know the stinger or an abdomen... maybe even wings. Cool stuff huh? :rofl:

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
HaHaa Philip! Loved your remedy!
No one is gonna like my way, but I've held strong and true.... Just smoke your

meerschaum and make sure your hands are clean before picking it up. Other than

that, just smoke.

Put it in your will who you want to continue coloring your pipes....... Just smoke!
TopD

lorenzo3

Lurker
Mar 19, 2013
I like that TopD, I hold my Meerschaum bowl while smoking and don't worry to much about holding it, (of course, I make sure my hands are clean before taking the pipe), as you say, I just go and enjoy the smoke!

lorenzo3

Lurker
Mar 19, 2013
Thanks for the welcome rothnh...This thing on the beeswax and meerschaum was instructive and interesting. I went and got myself some beeswax, the thing is, will any Burt's Bees lip balm do, they've got about 5 different ones. I also got a Burt's Bees Hand Salve in a small jar, would that be ok too?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I bought white bee's wax granules and melted them in a cup with a hot air blower.

I then use the hot air blower to warm the pipe, and I apply the molten wax with a brush.

It makes the color really pop!

NoNameClawmeer2.jpg
NoNameClawmeer3.jpg
Caveman1.jpg
Caveman2.jpg

lorenzo3

Lurker
Mar 19, 2013
Thanks! Using a hot air blower gets quicker and more dramatic effects! Your claw pipe is beautiful too! I've been using the Burt's Bees lip balm with hardly any effects yet, well, it's only the 3rd use. The thing is, seems to me my pipe became whiter...must be my eyes! Thanks.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Cortez that is a killer claw! Great color too. The claw is my favorite figured meerschaum.

Status
Not open for further replies.