PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Dear friends,
As it happened I'm the very lucky winner of this BBB pipe :
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Antik-B-B-B-Queen-Victoria-fein-geschnitzt-Estate-Pipe-/233143841520?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=orc7I10cVGYAtQAtQpniCov6DDQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc
The pictures did not do it justice : it looks much better in real life and the carving is outstanding.

I was given to understand that back in those days there were 3D carving machines, the pipes were then finished by master carvers .
http://pipecluboflondon.com/members-pipes/figural/hm-queen-victoria/
Can you please help to determine its age ?

Dec 10, 2013
Thank you CW !

The chamber is in fine condition, the tenon screwed in the stummel and then the stem screws on, has an orific bit.

The seller suggested a 1887 Golden Jubilee pipe.I suppose it is not that old .

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's certainly 19th century and French carved. It could be as early as 1887. It looks unsmoked. If it is, I recommend caution if you're thinking of smoking it, as these really old virgins can split on the first smoke. Get a coating on the chamber walls first then super slow and cool smoking for the first dozen of so bowls to build up the cake. After that it will probably be fine.

Dec 10, 2013
Jesse,
Thank you for chiming in :)
This is good news. Unfortunately I'm totally inapt when it comes to posting pictures, someday I will figure it all out.
It is smoked but to the touch the briar feels very dry . It certainly will be given a bowl coating if so.

Could it be that the tenon is turned on the shank, if you catch my drift ?

The stem does not overturn, the fit is perfect.

Quite a big bowl, actually. Not a fill to be found.

The Barling Quaint arrived today, I will post soon !

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here's the Victorian:
QueenVicBriar-web-289x237.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The normal joinery for that period was to use a bone screw connector, seated to the stem, to attach the stem to the shank. It's possible that the connector has become attached to the shank, but I'd need to see pictures to make a guess.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Neat pipe! Not sure there's enough info to ascertain its age though. Assuming it is linked to a Jubilee (and there's not much basis for that really, it's just seller's guess) it's as likely to be Victoria's 1897 Diamond Jubilee as the Golden. Or for that matter a commemoration of her death in early 1901.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
My thinking would be the Diamond Jubilee (1896) celebrated in 1897. Follow me here, what would be the best known public depiction of the queen during the period? The coinage. Note the change on the penny to the "veiled head" in 1895.
https://www.allcoinvalues.com/united-kingdom/queen-victoria-era-uk-penny-values.html
:)

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Of course, in official imagery, she was wearing a veil for both the Golden Jubilee and the Diamond Jubilee...
queen-vic-diamond.jpg

queen-victoria-official-dj-portrait-sm_0.jpg

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Victoria was actually pretty famous for her "veiled head", at least according to John Brown.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We've been watching the PBS Masterpiece series on Victoria. Several earlier films filled in details about her later life. She and Albert had (I think it was) nine children, and as a widow, she was both burdened by long-term grief, but also later, close to at least two different male attendants, where the relationship was not categorically known -- an emissary from India who turned out to be married with children, and later a Scot, Mr. Brown, who was somewhat her protector, whatever else he might have been to her. Her name was associated with prudishness, but that wasn't part of her personal life, for sure. She was the longest reigning English monarch until the current Elizabeth II. Victoria was small, although somewhat stout in later life, under five feet I believe. Like Elizabeth I, she attained the thrown at a young age but soon asserted herself ably.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
That's a great Pipe.... mso I too enjoy watching the Masterpiece series whilst smoking some fine English tobacco.

Dec 10, 2013
This is the amazing St. Claude Dalloz or Lamberthod 3D pantograph !

Reminds me of a weavers loom :)
dalloz-musee-saint-claude_medium_-390x367.jpg

Developed by the St. Claude pipe craftsman, Joseph Honore Dalloz in 1863 (d. 1905). This machine was used by his nephew, M. Dessertine up until 1945.

Status
Not open for further replies.