PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
Here is the Sunday evening project. BBB Own Make squat bulldog. I've really taking a liking to the Own make line. I believe this is an early example sporting the inner tube stinger. I hope some of the resident historians can help out with dating. This does has the original silverband. Alas, no hallmark.
YheySjkl.jpg

6j2F4VUl.jpg

DRZjxiel.jpg

qSV0H1ql.jpg

By7JU0Vl.jpg

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Looks really good. Looks like a keeper. Strange, no hallmarks. My 427 Rare grain is one of my favs. 428 is the bent version if I remember right.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
WOW! I don't know what the weather was like on sunday where your at. But that beauty sure brightens up my Monday for sure. And thanks for the pipe lesion too. Always herd the term inner tube now I can actually see one. Thanks and Enjoy.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Beautiful pipe Dave, and great job as usual! I don't know about the dating of these, but I have a straight apple shape that looks to be from the same series. They are beautiful pipes, but like you say there are no hallmarks on the band, just says sterling silver. When trying to research mine, it seems like I remember finding some ads that were from the late 50s early 60s. So I guess they are at least that old.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I think that I was watching that one! There isn't a lot on BBB pipes out there. Nice work, as usual! Having the inner tube is pretty cool too.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just checked again, most pipe forums post the link to the history, but there is no info on dating via nomenclature. At least none that I can locate. At some point they also used "Made in England" (with Made in script, not block).

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Glouchesterman is correct, the hallmark law (regulation?) only applies to pipes sold in the UK. Pipes made for export are exempted. Too bad, how hard would it be to stamp a symbol? I suspect pulling pipes for export to not be stamped might have been more time consuming than stamping them.

Status
Not open for further replies.