PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoshKiwi

Lurker
Dec 27, 2019
Michigan
Hello fellow pipe smokers! I saw this Castello Collection Great Line shape #37 (I believe that's the shape number for a bent Dublin with tapered stem anyway) on the bay and got it for what I believe to be a very great price, $50 (though I could be mistaken, I'm relatively new to buying estate briars). I bought it mainly because the grain pattern on this particular pipe really spoke to me on a deep level for some reason. It naturally has a few issues including some rim charring and, on the side of the bowl, what appears to be a flame lick from a lighter. I have some faith at the moment in being able to make it look good again, as the scorching doesn't appear to go deep, and I feel capable of topping the bowl if I so choose, but if it ultimately can't be helped then that's ok, because I still really love the way this particular pipe looks, the briar appears to be crack free, the shank fits the stem "perfectly", and it does pass a pipe cleaner test.
So what do you guys think? :) I didn't do anything to it yet so you're all seeing it the way I received it. Just waiting on my Pipnet to get here now to begin the cleaning process.16182

Last edited:

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
A fine pipe! Someone clearly smoked the bejesus out of it and wasn’t to careful with that rim, but it should still smoke beautifully! How the hell they charred the shit out of the outside wall I’ll never know, but hey, booze and pipes pair well I guess :ROFLMAO:

Plenty restorable and probably worth the effort to clean up when the time comes, but awesome as is and perfectly smokeable. Pretty grain for sure, I like the straight grain and that hint of ring grain you can see lurking towards the top! Congrats and nice grab!

Reactions: PoshKiwi

PoshKiwi

Lurker
Dec 27, 2019
Michigan
Thanks guys! I am pretty excited about it to be truthful, The original pictures from the auction made it look questionable. I was a bit concerned that there were other issues everyone else saw but me, apart from the obvious of course. There's a bit of a film on it that makes it pretty difficult to take pictures of how the grain looks in person due to hazing the lighting, should clean up fine though. After having it in my hands I can see the pictures were not reflecting the true condition, and that probably panned out in my better interest as a result.

How the hell they charred the shit out of the outside wall I’ll never know, but hey, booze and pipes pair well I guess :ROFLMAO:
I'll never know either, though you might be on to something there! It is probably one of those mysteries that will never be solved. In the words of Mike from Briar Blues "I don't know what they were smoking, but it sure wasn't
McClelland's!" ?

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
That outer scorch is very likely from laying next to a burning cigar in an ashtray.
The grain looks well enough that you may be able to sand it out. That would mean a slight re-shaping, but there’s decent likelihood that the grain would maintain.
Take your time, and good luck.
I bet it’s a fine smoker.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
Looks like whoever owned it used a butane lighter to touch it off. Seems like that's the shape that Castello uses to show off their best briar most of the time. Great looking pipe.

PoshKiwi

Lurker
Dec 27, 2019
Michigan
I am going to give this a smoke tonight. I definitely have been looking forward to trying this pipe out but wanted to ream it properly. Since my pipnet isn't here yet I got a bit impatient and trimmed the cake ever so carefully with my trusty pipe knife, whatever tobacco the original owner was smoking sure smelled fantastic. Cleaned the stem thoroughly and got my first "test fit" and I just thought "wow, what a great, stable hold that wide stem gives, very much different then the saddle bits that i'm used to! I love my Charatans, but this Castello feels "just right". That's the best way I can describe it. Now the only problem is getting more of them... will have to work on that!

I've also decided to postpone restoring it at the moment in favor of getting a few more pipes to practice on first. I want to do this one justice as I can see the potential and don't want to ruin it by being a novice.
Thank you all for your feedback so far, I feel like I made the right decision! puffy

Reactions: aquadoc

PoshKiwi

Lurker
Dec 27, 2019
Michigan
So I smoked a bowl of Peterson's "The Royal Yacht" in the Castello last night. Probably the best bowl I've ever had due to comfort and just having a phenomenal draw, and because I'm just so damn excited about it. I can definitely see the reasoning for the praise Castello pipes get, this bargain of mine allowed me to explore and discover a whole new world of pipes that I was otherwise too cheap to experiment with. The only problem now is I've been spoiled with a great fitting pipe and now I want more of these Castellos to be the substance of my rotation/collection. I'm really leaning towards a sea rock or a sandblast being the next addition.

If I may ask, what would be the best place online to buy Castellos for reasonable prices both new and estate? There's a risk of going through a full on PAD attack but that's likely to happen now anyway. ?

Reactions: kokomanga
Status
Not open for further replies.