PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
True or false ?

The saying “Cold enough to freeze the balls off (often written as “of”) a brass monkey “

Apparently back on the days of wooden gun ships, cannon balls were stacked onto a brass trivet, called a “brass monkey” to stop them rolling around on the gun deck

Because of the effect of extreme cold on different metals, the brass trivet would shrink sufficiently for the iron balls to fall off them

I can’t vouch for the veracity of this story, not being a naval historian

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
True or false ?

The saying “Cold enough to freeze the balls off (often written as “of”) a brass monkey “

Apparently back on the days of wooden gun ships, cannon balls were stacked onto a brass trivet, called a “brass monkey” to stop them rolling around on the gun deck

Because of the effect of extreme cold on different metals, the brass trivet would shrink sufficiently for the iron balls to fall off them

True

Reactions: OzPiper

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
True or false ?

You’ll find naval historians saying that it isn’t correct, may have originated with the expression “freezing the tail off of a brass monkey”, meaning the little statues, in an old seafaring novel, and all sorts of evidence from proponents of either “side”. I always heard it in the context of “bring in the brass monkeys” when it was going to be really cold (suggesting this or that might freeze and fall off the statue in the garden, lol) so always had a different context but don’t claim any academic authority on the origins.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Torpedo Run was better though. The board was like 5’ long and you’d shoot red discs from your submarine at enemy ships. If the disc hit the enemy ship in the correct location (little slots at the bottom) a part of the ship like the com tower would fly off. Once all parts of a ship that could come off came off it was sunk. Last fleet standing won.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
You’ll find naval historians saying that it isn’t correct, may have originated with the expression “freezing the tail off of a brass monkey”, meaning the little statues, in an old seafaring novel, and all sorts of evidence from proponents of either “side”. I always heard it in the context of “bring in the brass monkeys” when it was going to be really cold (suggesting this or that might freeze and fall off the statue in the garden, lol) so always had a different context but don’t claim any academic authority on the origins.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Seriously though... My favorite??? My first cutter, the "Mighty Warship" Mellon (WHEC-717). She is noted as being the only Coast Guard cutters to ever fire the harpoon missile system. I was stationed aboard from 2002-2005.
1704997016485.png

If that doesn't count, perhaps the Battleship Texas (BB-35) which is now a museum piece moored at the San Jacinto monument in Texas. I spent the night on the Texas a few times when I was a scout. (I've got a really neat picture of my State Guard battalion somewhere but I can't find it.) I've spent alot of time aboard that ship and at San Jacinto. It's a beautiful site, not only for a Native Texan, but for any naval or war historian.
SAM_0591.JPG1704997555734.png

Jun 9, 2018
England
HMS Victory. Lord Nelson's flagship at the battle of Trafalgar.

According to Wikipedia: "launched in 1765. With 246 years of service as of 2024, she is the world's oldest naval vessel still in commission".

That's a cool bit of info but i'm not sure how I feel about them referring to the ship as 'she'. I don't know if 246 year old wooden ships have preferred pronouns but to be on the safe side I think it'd be better if Wikipedia used 'they' instead.

1705006347974.png

1705006379503.png

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Best scene of that movie:

Ok, I'm going to open myself up to a lot of ridicule here by admitting that I liked the 2012 movie Battleship. It was simple feel good fun, you know good over evil old Saturday matinee stuff. Best scene for me was Rihanna saying "boom" while she touched off a destroyer canon from about 12 feet at an alien invader on deck. But hey, I'm a sicko... cray