Not open for further replies.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
@mikethompson i am coming for you.

Shoryuken!

0E8068E7-2367-4E7A-92CE-28BB26583472.jpeg

My test pipe arrived in the mail yesterday. It was the first parcel I have ever received from PRC and I knew what it was instantly judging from the colour of the tape used to seal the box.

The whole customer service experience was cordial, with prompt replies, quick shipping and decent packing of the pipe.

I am a little unsure of the pipe’s provenance. Is it briar stock from Italy? Is it finished in China? Did it get marked with the wrong COM accidentally? Let’s just say, if you are purchasing a pipe from Ali express these questions are not important to you.

the pipe I received is ‘modelled’ on the iconic savinelli author shape. I don’t own a 673KS, and it’s safe to say this pipe doesn’t come close to scratching that itch. Don’t get me wrong, the stain is tasteful, the connection is seem less, the ‘band’ offers nice contrast - thought it was advertised as being white instead of silver in colour. For a $35 pipe I guess it looks the part. But it is way too stocky. Don’t get me wrong, I love shorter chubby pipes. They are my favourite shape. But none of my others actually feel overweight.

i present thee, Janice. The tubby author.

58418212-F3F4-44A2-A661-35C0A171B19A.jpeg

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
@mikethompson i am coming for you.

Shoryuken!

View attachment 61361

My test pipe arrived in the mail yesterday. It was the first parcel I have ever received from PRC and I knew what it was instantly judging from the colour of the tape used to seal the box.

The whole customer service experience was cordial, with prompt replies, quick shipping and decent packing of the pipe.

I am a little unsure of the pipe’s provenance. Is it briar stock from Italy? Is it finished in China? Did it get marked with the wrong COM accidentally? Let’s just say, if you are purchasing a pipe from Ali express these questions are not important to you.

the pipe I received is ‘modelled’ on the iconic savinelli author shape. I don’t own a 673KS, and it’s safe to say this pipe doesn’t come close to scratching that itch. Don’t get me wrong, the stain is tasteful, the connection is seem less, the ‘band’ offers nice contrast - thought it was advertised as being white instead of silver in colour. For a $35 pipe I guess it looks the part. But it is way too stocky. Don’t get me wrong, I love shorter chubby pipes. They are my favourite shape. But none of my others actually feel overweight.

i present thee, Janice. The tubby author.

View attachment 61367
Soooo......that’s what Mina looks like without photoshop or filters???? A chubby Author?

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
A closer look...

Drilling looks good. It’s a filter pipe, but if I smoke it I won’t be using one, it has a similar draw to the filtered MM cobs (when used without a filter).

the band/accent is part of the stem instead of the shank. This bugs me a little, but probably only because it is silver coloured. The stem is acrylic. It is cut well, and again similar in ‘hardness’ to the MM forever stems.

so far the only significant flaw with this pipe is the tenon. It is soft plastic. I was expecting the tenon to be acrylic. However...this may in fact be a design feature and advantage as we move into testing phase 1.

855E6F52-5FA2-47BB-8258-E63974EEDB7B.jpegC2551A05-3F16-4C75-8CE7-F19E70DA10DA.jpeg5907E9FD-8DDA-4186-8CE9-2B1B11157BF7.jpegF0EAFFB5-177E-4210-83F4-8D2B365D5D3D.jpeg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Test 1: the 6 foot drop

we measure in metric down under. Honestly, the only thing I use oz/lbs for is tobacco, and inches for the length of my pipe. ?

instead of trying to do the conversion, and to put this testing in context of a real life scenario, I did a 6 metre drop instead.

I dunno if @mikethompson is a basketballer, but for me to accidentally drop a pipe from 6’ I’d have to be holding it above my head. Not something I have ever tried while smoking...but I regularly smoke a cob on the roof, either doing maintenance or just hiding from my toddlers.

Straight onto asphalt, here’s how she held up

CC5F5BC6-D23A-4686-8DA8-55E2C7173DA1.jpeg2FF81519-BBE8-4CE1-AE30-F6A314C2E56B.jpeg7CB58EC2-69BD-4D28-989C-B723DF25505C.jpeg

Reactions: kurtbob

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Test 1: the 6 foot drop

we measure in metric down under. Honestly, the only thing I use oz/lbs for is tobacco, and inches for the length of my pipe. ?

instead of trying to do the conversion, and to put this testing in context of a real life scenario, I did a 6 metre drop instead.

I dunno if @mikethompson is a basketballer, but for me to accidentally drop a pipe from 6’ I’d have to be holding it above my head. Not something I have ever tried while smoking...but I regularly smoke a cob on the roof, either doing maintenance or just hiding from my toddlers.

Straight onto asphalt, here’s how she held up

View attachment 61391View attachment 61392View attachment 61393
Hahaha, this is becoming like those gun reviews on YouTube. “Okay, let’s cover this Colt AR-15 in mud and throw it on the ground and see if it can be as reliable as the venerable AK platform.”

Not a single one of you has cut one of these in half like Georged does Dunhills.
Not impressed GIF - Find on GIFER

Reactions: kurtbob
Status
Not open for further replies.