PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatorlope

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
A new (to me) product that allows you to mix your own blend to taste.

I got two of the Va Per not yet blended jars that contain equal parts of Virginia, Bright Virginia and Perique, figuring that it would also give me a chance to try some pure Perique that I haven’t seen seen elsewhere. In the process, I found that they (Pipes & Cigars) also have pure Perique that they obtain in the original keg and sell by the ounce, so I got four ounces of that as well.

I like the plastic jars that they come in that seem preferable to mason jars, since they’re not as apt to break if dropped or mishandled.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The kit is a good way to give people permission to do some mixing. Once you develop a feel for what goes with what, and how proportions change flavor, you won't rely on the kit much, just keep some good condiment tobaccos on hand.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
How is the pure perique?
I waited to answer your question since I have Perique from two different sources- the Perique that comes with the Bastard Blends and the Perique that I ordered separately from Pipes and Cigars. They are both packed loosely, but there were obvious differences. The Perique that I had ordered separately was darker, chunkier and moister and I had not tried it separately yet. Also P&C stated that their Perique came directly from the keg they had received it in.
I enjoyed both and in both cases got some of the same dizzying effect that I get with the Kajun Kake that I’ve been smoking.
In another thread, Cosmic recommended that I try a wider bowl pipe to negate that to some degree and allow myself to better enjoy the nuances of the blend.

Reactions: seanv

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
+1 on the wider bowl. I had some loose perique way back in the day. I didn't smoke it solo but added it quite heavily to some blends with varying results. Messing around with mixer tobaccos is fun. I don't mess with blends very often except when I smoke a 50/50 bowl

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
I’m trying a little of each of the Virginia and Bright Virginia that came in separate pouches in the Bastard Blends jar. Then I’ll try the two mixed in equal parts with the Perique, just to see how that changes things.

Reactions: seanv

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
That is great that you got a kit. Blending can be a lot of fun. Next, you’ll be making flakes, and before you know it you’ll have the backyard all plowed up with a small tobacco crop.
I suggest trying all of the components alone before blending them.
Let us know what you come up with.
Nah, my sister’s got the gardening gene in our family. I sent her some seeds. She’s planted them and they’re growing in her back yard!

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
I tried the Virginia And Bright Virginia tobaccos separately, but was unimpressed by either one, then with the Perique it was a bit better.
They’ll probably go into a large catchall pouch that I keep. It’s where I toss leftover bits from various tins and mix in an occasional bit of tobacco that I found bland or uninteresting.
I shake it all up and what comes out is a great deal more interesting than what went in!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Latakia and Perique seem to be default condiments, so seem overused. If you are mixing now and then, don't forget black unflavored Cavendish, cigar leaf, dark-fired, Oriental, and Turkish, for examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.