PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've been looking at this pipe on Marty Pulvers site for almost a year, and finally decided to buy it. I'm sure it hung around so long because it's a post transition pipe. But man, once I got it the grain on it is really amazing. The pipe has obviously been smoked a bit, but the stem looks like a replacement as there was no evidence of bite marks at all. It looks to be rather well done, has the Barling logo, and the button is nicely finished. It smokes better than a lot of pipes I have, the draw is open and no gurgling. Yes it's a small pipe which to me is typically English, but most of my pipes are medium to large size. No idea when this was actually made, maybe someone can give me an idea. Stamped Barling Guinea Grain, 5294, and TVF.

fullsizeoutput_2852.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2851.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_284d.jpeg

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I have looked at that pipefor a while too. I didn't pull the trigger because of post transition numbering. Hope it is a great smoker. The grain is a real eye catcher. I know some post transitions are good pipes. I have a transition Barling that smokes good so you never know.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Post Transition pipes get a uniformly bad rap, which makes for great bargains as they are often excellent and go for peanuts. My first Barling was a Corporate Era pipe and it's one of my best smokers.
Given the position of the TVF stamp being on the opposite side of the shank from the logo, it's no earlier than 1965 and looks like a Barling factory made product, so no later than 1970.
The stem looks like a well made replacement.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Post Transition pipes get a uniformly bad rap, which makes for great bargains as they are often excellent and go for peanuts. My first Barling was a Corporate Era pipe and it's one of my best smokers.
Given the position of the TVF stamp being on the opposite side of the shank from the logo, it's no earlier than 1965 and looks like a Barling factory made product, so no later than 1970.
The stem looks like a well made replacement.
Thanks Jesse! From what I read on Pipedia (probably by you) that would have been my guess too. I have no idea how closely the replacement stem is to the original, but it's very comfortable.
Also, thanks to everyone else for the info and feedback. Great bunch of guys youz are!

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Nice one! I really like my "Lesser Barlings" - post-trans pipes and seconds. Enjoy this one in good health!

Status
Not open for further replies.