Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yes, a hybrid . Not often seen.
I like it, makes the stem look a little more special and shows it is probably original to the pipe.
I'm not a clencher, but it looks to be very comfortable.
It's original to the pipe. I have a few Barling semi-orific bits from that period and that's exactly what they look like.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
That decorative bead work.... and on such a small scale!.... was the first thing that caught my eye. Incredible workmanship...but back in 1903 those kind of craftsmen existed in every factory.

Yes and I suppose it all done be hand , frazing machines did not do such.
It is so typical french too. I've seen so many french stummels with this kind of bead work,love it.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Jon might very well be able to give you information about the tobacconist who sold it, right down to his choice in underwear.

As it turns out Peter Benjamin Harris, the seller of this pipe, was notorious in Edwardian England for going commando. In an interview in the August 1905 number of Cigar & Tobacco World he dilated at some length upon this very subject, and was quoted as stating “I find it not only refreshing in the muggy heat of a London Summer to dispense with linens entirely, but a surprisingly effective ice-breaker at Ascot and similar occasions for social intercourse. And although in all candour the notion repels many of the fairer sex, in my experience many more are curiously attracted when they learn of my sartorial predilections. This is how, in fact, I made the acquaintance of Mrs Harris and persuaded her to yield to my importunities.”

The article is accompanied by a series of tasteless woodcut drawings which I would post here for general edification were I not confident it would lead to the deletion of this thread.

Dec 10, 2013

Apparently the libertine man was also a hairdresser .
Could this account for his habit going commando ?

Last edited:

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013

Apparently the libertine man was also a hairdresser .
Could this account for his habit going commando ?

This photo was taken some 63 years after Harris’s death, long after the company passed out of the family’s hands, but I’ve seen his will and it contained explicit instructions to his widow that he be buried commando.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I always felt attracted to the notion of G C .

You would be in good company. By the outbreak of the Second World War Alfred Dunhill, Joel Sasieni, Montague Barling, Louis Chapuis, Alois Orlik and Reuben Charatan are just a few of the luminaries of the pipe world who were known to go commando. In 1939 they signed a petition, published in the Times, demanding that Neville Chamberlain and his cabinet do the same. Had Chamberlain appeased the petitioners, as he appeased so many others, the trajectory of the 20th century might have been very different. This interesting speculation into what is now called alternative history was the subject of my doctoral dissertation, recently published by Random House and soon to be a major motion picture streaming on Amazon Prime.

Dec 10, 2013
You would be in good company. By the outbreak of the Second World War Alfred Dunhill, Joel Sasieni, Montague Barling, Louis Chapuis, Alois Orlik and Reuben Charatan are just a few of the luminaries of the pipe world who were known to go commando. In 1939 they signed a petition, published in the Times, demanding that Neville Chamberlain and his cabinet do the same. Had Chamberlain appeased the petitioners, as he appeased so many others, the trajectory of the 20th century might have been very different. This interesting speculation into what is now called alternative history was the subject of my docoral tdissertation, recently published by Random House and soon to be a major motion picture streaming on Amazon Prime.
We are an odd lot ; can you send me a copy of your DD ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The intricacies of dressing in post Edwardian England! Now I know more about it than I ever cared to know!

And poor Neville. "There will be peace in our time". Well, sometime....

Reactions: orlandofurioso
Status
Not open for further replies.