PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Thank you kind Sir , I consider it utterly charming.
Reminds me of St. Claude turned stummels .
The diamond is wonderfully decorated and is stamped "PBH".
Not a clue, could be the propietor's initials ?

Is our Barling Bard online ?

Dec 10, 2013
Here it is :

According to Jesse :

Hello all,
I was watching that auction. The short answer to whether Barling made the stummel is "maybe, maybe not". Prior to 1906 Barling made some of their bowls, but like all other English marques, imported a number of them from St. Claude and other sources. To be more precise, Barling would order stummels from France which would be stained, finished, and mounted in their London factories.
If I were to hazard a guess, based on BBB practices of the time, I would guess that the lack of a "Barling's Make" stamp would indicate that the bowl is French and was finished and mounted By Barling. BBB stamped "Own Make" on the bowls that they turned. Bowls from France or Austria did not get the "Own Make" stamp.
Keep in mind that the bowls still had to meet Barling's standards. But after the St. Claude carvers' strike in 1906, Barling pulled all production in-house.
EDT: Whether a stummel turned elsewhere and not at the Barling Factory is or isn't a Barling is an interesting question. All English makers supplemented their in-house production with out sourced production. Comoy stated that French work was far superior to what the English could do. Dunhill outsourced a portion of their production for decades. Barling didn't do that after 1906.

My best guess ; it was fitted in London by Barling.

Last edited:

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Here’s some info from Jesse on one of my pipes, which might answer the question of whether a pipe is a true Barling. Just because Barling didn’t source/shape their own briar for every single one of their pipes, I would still consider them true Barlings.

“Barling often stamped the dealers' names on their pipes especially in the early years. This one was made by Barling, not just mounted by them. Up until 1906, Barling turned only a percentage of their bowls and like their competitors bought a number of stummels from St Claude for finishing and mounting. In 1906, Barling made the decision to make all of their own bowls after the pipe carvers in St Claude went on strike for better wages. It probably wasn't until 1907 that they were in position to do all of their own manufacturing. Prior to 1906, Barling made some bowls, which were stamped with a ‘Barling's Make’ stamp, and bought unfinished bowls from St Claude for finishing and mounting, which were not stamped with a ‘Barling's Make” stamp. Unlike Barling, the other British manufacturers continued to buy stummels from St Claude for decades, stamping the with ‘Made In England’, or ‘Made In London’ even though it wasn't strictly true.”

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Barling 1903 bulldog :

Isn't she lovely ?

Please share your educated and appreciated thoughts.

View attachment 42840
That's a beauty!
Given the year, I'm inclined to think of the stamp as a dealer's stamp. At this time, dealer's stamps were often placed where we're used to seeing the makers logo stamp, and if there was a "Barling's Make" logo it was on the other side.
The lack of a "Barling's Make" logo would indicate that the stummel was imported from St Claude as was widely practiced by the British pipe making industry at that time.
Unfinished stummels were imported to England and then finished and mounted with bling and a stem. It wasn't until 1906, following the carvers' strike in St Claude, that Barling decided to make all of their pipes from start to finish.
The fact of a French made bowl isn't a sign of lesser quality, more the opposite. French carvers were considered superior to British carvers at that time, more experienced and more highly skilled. I would imagine Barling brought in French carvers to begin that transition from relying on French imports and to train British carvers.

Dec 10, 2013
That's a beauty!
Given the year, I'm inclined to think of the stamp as a dealer's stamp. At this time, dealer's stamps were often placed where we're used to seeing the makers logo stamp, and if there was a "Barling's Make" logo it was on the other side.
The lack of a "Barling's Make" logo would indicate that the stummel was imported from St Claude as was widely practiced by the British pipe making industry at that time.
Unfinished stummels were imported to England and then finished and mounted with bling and a stem. It wasn't until 1906, following the carvers' strike in St Claude, that Barling decided to make all of their pipes from start to finish.
The fact of a French made bowl isn't a sign of lesser quality, more the opposite. French carvers were considered superior to British carvers at that time, more experienced and more highly skilled. I would imagine Barling brought in French carvers to begin that transition from relying on French imports and to train British carvers.

Hi Jesse,

Could Gus be of help ?
I'd really like to know about the retailer who once sold it.
An approximately 117 year old pipe, I am so chuffed :col:

Status
Not open for further replies.