PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

T-townrestore

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2021
Tacoma
I found this Barling's Make Ye Olde Wood Straight Grain Billiard on eBay. It’s pretty rough and I know the stem isn’t original. It says JJ Fox & Co on the opposite side of the shank. Now I’ve been fix up pipes and learning a lot about them along with the does and don’ts. With this one I don’t know if I’ll practice on it. Is there any value in having it properly stemmed and fix up by a master, or would one say it’s safe for me to go ahead and work on it myself?

1652585694550.jpeg
1652585731445.jpeg
1652585768960.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: SpookedPiper

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Nomenclature looks pretty buffed out, and the previous owner must have spent a lot of time in a high wind scenario... I'd just clean it up myself. If the stem works I'd just be inclined to leave it as is. You can finish sand the bowl to remove the char or just char the whole stummel. That charred wood look was popular back in the 70's - Retro.bernzo.JPG

Reactions: SpookedPiper

T-townrestore

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2021
Tacoma
Nomenclature looks pretty buffed out, and the previous owner must have spent a lot of time in a high wind scenario... I'd just clean it up myself. If the stem works I'd just be inclined to leave it as is. You can finish sand the bowl to remove the char or just char the whole stummel. That charred wood look was popular back in the 70's - Retro.View attachment 145509
Do Shou Sugi Ban? I can tell it’s been a well loved pipe. It was a total of 14 bucks, so me doing it won’t be a bust to my wallet.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

T-townrestore

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2021
Tacoma
I found this Barling's Make Ye Olde Wood Straight Grain Billiard on eBay. It’s pretty rough and I know the stem isn’t original. It says JJ Fox & Co on the opposite side of the shank. Now I’ve been fix up pipes and learning a lot about them along with the does and don’ts. With this one I don’t know if I’ll practice on it. Is there any value in having it properly stemmed and fix up by a master, or would one say it’s safe for me to go ahead and work on it myself?

View attachment 145503
View attachment 145504
View attachment 145505
@georged what are your thoughts on this?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Looks like you should enjoy and play with it.

I do like the torching idea above, that sounds like fun.

I don't think a master would do much to it, really and you would be thawing good money after bad.

Post up is she gets charred up!

T-townrestore

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2021
Tacoma
Looks like you should enjoy and play with it.

I do like the torching idea above, that sounds like fun.

I don't think a master would do much to it, really and you would be thawing good money after bad.

Post up is she gets charred up!
I couldn’t bring myself to char it. It has too nice of a grain.
1653002816985.jpegAnd this is what happens when your glove breaks when you’re staining. 1653002871016.jpeg

T-townrestore

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2021
Tacoma
Nice job!
Thanks, but I hate the stem though, and I haven’t made one before. So, I might just have to keep my eyes open for one I can make fit, send it to someone to make it, or bite the bullet buy the tools and learn how to make one myself.