Bargain Buy - Carey Magic Inch Pipes. Thoughts?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Yo,
Got these 4 Carey magic inchers on ebay for a total bargain of £4 as the guy listed them buy it now for 99p + £3 postage instead of bid starting at 99p and still let me have them!
All in really good condition and barely needed reaming or much cleaning. I ordered about 60 little paper filters for them as it didn't come with any apart from the ones alreayd in the stems.
The bottom right one is my favourite but all are particularly nice and well made.

So.. thoughts on the style/system in general? As crap as the stinger and filter pipes all over the place or actually worth a go? I figure if I don't like the system I'll block the stem vents and go as normal.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I always wanted to try an E A Carey! I fell in love with a bizarre pipe they had in their catalog, I believe, in the 1980s(maybe 70s). If I recall, they called it an oom-paul apple. I think we'd have called it a squashed tomato or what-do-you-get-when-you-cross an apple, an oom-paul, a squashed tomato, and an author. I have no more interest in acquiring a pipe that requires a different filter situation than my present fleet of 9mm pipes... but every time I see "E A Carey pipes" it reminds me of the joy I had thumbing through their catalogs back in the day!

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Carey has a shop in N. Canton, Oh which is very near me. I used to smoke a lot of their tobacco and have had a few of their pipes. The biggest complaint I remember is that the stems seem very cheap.
Mike S.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Carey pipes sell new for low prices. I owned one for a long time, but never found the carburetor feature much good. Tried smoking it with the vents taped up. It was just okay, not something that I especially enjoyed, so I always reached for something else. However, there are several Forums members who swear by these little pipes, and since they are well made, I say, try one and see how it is for you. That was an excellent price for the lot, and a good inexpensive way to try them.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I have a sentimental attraction to Carey Magic Inch pipes. Have quite a few. They are different in quality depending on where they are made. Some made in US factory owned by E A Carey but now closed. The US made ones are good quality for an inexpensive pipe. I have some made in London that are very nice pipes. I also have some made in Italy. Also nice pipes. Currently, it appears all of their new line of pipes come from Italy. Stems are less durable on most. Not bad smokers. Not magic though. :puffpipe:

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
I have one like the upper left. It, too, has a sentimental attachment. I had just been promoted to Plant Controller when the Plant Manager died suddenly. I had worked with him for about 10 years and had become friends as well as coworkers. He smoked cigarettes all the time I had known him, but had just ordered, and received, a Cary, intending to switch to pipes, partially because I enjoyed them. It fell to me to clean out his desk and gather all personal effects for his widow. I confiscated the pipe, feeling a little guilty, but it meant more to me than it would to his family since they had never seen him smoke a pipe. That was over 40 years ago. I think of Paul every time I smoke it.
It smokes well, but I gave up on the filters and tape over the holes. You got a really great deal.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
I'm pretty sure all the pipes I have are made in London. And from what I can see the only down side (haven't smoked them yet as those little filters haven't turned up..) is the stems.
They are thin to fit over the system and do feel a little shit compared to a nice thick stem like on alllll my other pipes.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I have one that I really like. I got rid of the vents using black superglue so that the venturi nozzle could work to it's full potential. The Carey "system" works on the same principle as a reverse calabash, that's the reason for the nozzle and hollow stem. The stem acts as an expansion chamber for the smoke.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I got one mailorder back in the 70s (when mailorder meant just that, you mailed them a form with a check and they mailed you a pipe). I don't recall much about the pipe quality, probably it was ok, but the "magic inch" and "papyrate" filter was bs. Didn't do anything more than a Medico or Grabow filter did to trap condensation, and the vents made it necessary to puff like a freight train to get the same amount of smoke as a normal pipe.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Right! my little paper filters came and I quickly sheathed my magic inch..
Loaded up the bottom right one with some Mellow VA and proceeded to light up.
Summary: Really enjoyed it! Not a single bit of tongue bite, enough smoke and as I puff alot it kept lit and gave great flavour. I think the added airflow helps bring out taste, cool the smoke down and apparently stopped all moisture from going down the stem.. even in post rain England!
Naturally I'm gona need to smoke them a few more times and figure out the best way etc but so far I'm impressed. And I think these may be a good option to those with sensative tongues and/or those that are new and want to power puff before they learn to slow down.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Only palce that seems to sell the sleeves in the UK is the Carey website. And with a £4 postage fee, best but a lot of boxes.. like I did lol.
I'm curious to how it will smoke with a something much stronger and pungeant like Nightcap and Condor. (I'll try those later)

motie2

Lurker
Mar 31, 2015
30 minutes west of Manhattan
I recently purchased two lovely used Carey pipes via eBay and am very happy with the value received and the condition the pipes were in when received. Including these two, I have four Carey's and one Duncan Hill Aerosphere. Whereas I smoked English blends back in the day, I've come to appreciate finely crafted Aromatics. Currently, I'm enjoying Sutliff's Maple Street mixed 50/50 with their Molto Dolce. Good taste, great smell, no bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.