PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Surely I'm not the only one on here who really likes this stuff? This was the first tinned blend I got, years ago after I "moved up in the world" from tubs of Sir Walter Raleigh and B&M bulk blends.

I'm definitely a Burley guy, and I've found that some of my favorite blends have Burley and Perique in them, including Three Friars and Barbary Coast. Lately BC has been my accompaniment on the drive in to work, and I'm having to fight the urge to order 20 tins of it, just to make sure I have enough...

Any other fans of the Coast out there?

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
It is a great blend. 99% of the time, I have coffee, tea or water with a pipe. The other 1% is Barbary Coast with a glass of port.

Reactions: danimalia

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
Almost no one talks about Barbary Coast, and I haven't had any in over a decade, but I have very fond memories of it. If the recipe has stayed the same then it's a solid burley based blend-- I just recall I needed to heavily dry it out, the cube cut is very difficult to burn/keep lit. The usual cub cut strategy applies, don't rub it out, just gravity fill.

If you don't like it, forget about the tin until it's very dry and then try some again.

Reactions: danimalia

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I've got a tin cellaring ATM. Who know's when I'll open it. With what others have said that some of Greg's unique blends need some time to appreciate, in particular Haddo's Delight. I had to let it air for a year before I came back to it and really enjoyed it. Burley isn't my first choice of tobaccos, so this may sit for a long time before I get to it.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I had a little trouble with it at first, Mike. For me the trick is to dry it out (it tends to feel drier than it is, maybe because of the cube cuts?), and to just gravity fill it in and tamp it barely enough to level it off. Then it's good to go.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I need to give it a try. My reluctance has been the cube cut. I just have no luck with them when it comes to keeping them lit or generating enough smoke. I've tried the gravity method but I'm probably messing it up.

Reactions: Bengel

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I really like burley too, whether single leaf or in blends. I'm enjoying a tin of Haddo's, but many of my favorite burleys and burley blends come from C&D. They've been among the most innovative blenders with burley. I go back to the Morganton, N.C. days with them (not so far back as their Pennsylvania workshop).

Reactions: Bengel

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
One of my all-time favorites. It is one of those unique Blends that I like to think of as an aromatic for people who don't like aromatics. Meaning that it has a sweetness and flavor to it that is very subtle.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Tried it for the first (and second) times today. Have to say it is very pleasant but the nic hit is much higher than I expected. Looking at tobacco reviews there seems to be some disagreement as to whether this is just short of a medium or a strong nicotine tobacco; to me it seems to be the strongest blend I've smoked!

Reactions: fightnhampster
Status
Not open for further replies.