Barbary Coast

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

.
Pipes & Cigars Norman Rockwell Tobacco Storage Jar Ad
.

Log in

Search on Site

SmokingPipes.com Updates






PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

.
.

Recent Posts

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

.
.

haparnold

Preferred Member
Aug 9, 2018
1,339
1,221
Lexington, KY
Surely I'm not the only one on here who really likes this stuff? This was the first tinned blend I got, years ago after I "moved up in the world" from tubs of Sir Walter Raleigh and B&M bulk blends.

I'm definitely a Burley guy, and I've found that some of my favorite blends have Burley and Perique in them, including Three Friars and Barbary Coast. Lately BC has been my accompaniment on the drive in to work, and I'm having to fight the urge to order 20 tins of it, just to make sure I have enough...

Any other fans of the Coast out there?
 

haparnold

Preferred Member
Aug 9, 2018
1,339
1,221
Lexington, KY
I know there are so many good blends out there, but don't sleep on Barbary Coast! I'm a big fan of Greg Pease's work in general, but I think there's something really special about his earliest blends, like Haddo's, Samarra, and BC.
 
  • Like
Reactions: danimalia and logs

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

.
Pipes & Cigars Norman Rockwell Tobacco Storage Jar Ad
.

alexnc

Preferred Member
Oct 25, 2015
830
522
yes, kind of love it. It was one of those that slowly became a favorite. Those are the ones that stick!
 
  • Like
Reactions: danimalia

orobusto

Member
Aug 22, 2015
210
17
It is a great blend. 99% of the time, I have coffee, tea or water with a pipe. The other 1% is Barbary Coast with a glass of port.
 
  • Like
Reactions: danimalia

subsalac

Member
Jan 9, 2018
274
1,121
Almost no one talks about Barbary Coast, and I haven't had any in over a decade, but I have very fond memories of it. If the recipe has stayed the same then it's a solid burley based blend-- I just recall I needed to heavily dry it out, the cube cut is very difficult to burn/keep lit. The usual cub cut strategy applies, don't rub it out, just gravity fill.

If you don't like it, forget about the tin until it's very dry and then try some again.
 
  • Like
Reactions: danimalia

troyniss

Member
Jul 8, 2018
296
361
I've got a tin cellaring ATM. Who know's when I'll open it. With what others have said that some of Greg's unique blends need some time to appreciate, in particular Haddo's Delight. I had to let it air for a year before I came back to it and really enjoyed it. Burley isn't my first choice of tobaccos, so this may sit for a long time before I get to it.
 

haparnold

Preferred Member
Aug 9, 2018
1,339
1,221
Lexington, KY
I had a little trouble with it at first, Mike. For me the trick is to dry it out (it tends to feel drier than it is, maybe because of the cube cuts?), and to just gravity fill it in and tamp it barely enough to level it off. Then it's good to go.
 

danimalia

Preferred Member
Sep 2, 2015
2,544
9,347
38
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I need to give it a try. My reluctance has been the cube cut. I just have no luck with them when it comes to keeping them lit or generating enough smoke. I've tried the gravity method but I'm probably messing it up.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Bengel

mso489

Preferred Member
Feb 21, 2013
31,113
15,218
I really like burley too, whether single leaf or in blends. I'm enjoying a tin of Haddo's, but many of my favorite burleys and burley blends come from C&D. They've been among the most innovative blenders with burley. I go back to the Morganton, N.C. days with them (not so far back as their Pennsylvania workshop).
 
  • Like
Reactions: Bengel
Aug 14, 2019
268
627
One of my all-time favorites. It is one of those unique Blends that I like to think of as an aromatic for people who don't like aromatics. Meaning that it has a sweetness and flavor to it that is very subtle.
 

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

.
Pipes & Cigars Norman Rockwell Tobacco Storage Jar Ad
.