PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
I still have it but wow, thank God for quick reflexes. Just lost some meat on the tip but man alive it hurts like hell! It went right under the nail heading down.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Hope you recover! Band saws can be dangerous, as you just found out. The problem is that the blade can bind in the wood and do other nasty things. I once saw in person a well known pipe maker shaping a block when his saw shot the block accross the table and struck his fingers which were resting on the edge of the table several inches away. He lot the last joint of one finger!
A couple of things you can do are be sure you have a GOOD grip on the block and second slow down the speed of the saw.

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
Yeah I was cutting a piece of Briar and at the end I sneezed. That was the slip I was worried about. Well the piece will be sanded down the rest of the way until my thumb heals since I need it to help push.

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
be carefull man. not sure how a blood red pipe will look. you making another freehand.

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
Yeppers another freehand! I just love the look and feel. The fact you can screwup and not worry since it is a freehand helps also.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
This would be a good time to get some topical antibiotic,

scrub the debris out of the flesh and bandage it up. Band saws

don't slice. They remove the thickness of the blade, as any saw

will. These can be nasty affairs that get infected easily.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I'm glad it wasn't any more serious than you describe.
I once had an electric hedge trimmer bounce back and to keep it off my magnificent mug, I caught it with my left hand and it bit through my glove and took the end of my middle finger. Only about a quarter inch but it hurt like hell for a couple of weeks... Took nine stitches. I have no feeling in the end of that finger.
Your sneeze could have been much worse.... now watch out for paper cuts on Saturday.
Seriously... glad you're ok.

patiobum

Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
Glad you did not do any permanent damage.
My son in law came over yesterday to use a few woodworking tools for a project. I started him on the band saw with a safety lecture on how a band saw can eat you up and dosen't know the difference between wood and you.
Keep medicated ointment and a bandaid on the cut for a few days.
Seems that I can't start a new project without drawing blood.

Status
Not open for further replies.