PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
I came up with an interesting little idea today while laying out the design for a new hiking-friendly leather pipe pouch I'm working on (a separate thread on that to come later in the week, I pinky-swear). Part of the design will involve a detachable carry case for a Zippo and a pipe tool--but there was the rub. I kept running into the basic problem that the average Czech Tool is long and narrow, while the Zippo is much shorter. They just don't jive very well when you're trying to make everything compact. I'm a huge fan of the standard Czech tool, but in this case the solution was obvious--find another tamper. I figured it didn't really have to cost anything, since I'd only really be using it on the trails--it didn't have to look good.
So while I was rummaging around for "found" items (nails, dowel, etc.) to do the job, I remembered I had a bit of bamboo lying around somewhere. Eureka! I realized that if I sliced along the node and then cut a taper, I'd have the perfect substitute--a flat tamper on one end and a shallow scoop on the other. So here it is, after about five minutes of work, and no cost.
8OWyfdC.jpg

I filed away the pokey bits, so it won't scratch the pipe.
Z5o8uHn.jpg

I still think it could stand to be a little shorter. I have more bamboo to play with.
8SdhJKf.jpg

And if my new Peterson would ever get here, I'd finally be able to crack open this tin of Sixpence that's been taunting me so.
edbImeY.jpg

Any interesting pipe tools in your collections?

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
Very innovative! I have the Czech tool but I've also bought a nicer one with wood inlay. I'll snap a photo of it :)

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
My one complaint about the Czech tool is if I don't pay attention I sometimes lift out some tobacco or ash when withdrawing the tool. So I also use a heavy stainless steel cylinder bolt spacer.

Here's an example -

http://cdn.instructables.com/FGK/38LG/HAQ2Z3HG/FGK38LGHAQ2Z3HG.LARGE.jpg

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Maxx, that looks similar to something I almost used myself--the stainless steel bar from a rivet-setter.

But I didn't want to lose it.
Something I've noticed about the Czech tool--I like to hold the convex part of the scoop at an angle over the bowl after a light while drawing. Gives me a (reflected) view into the bowl so I can see how well it lit. It really is almost the perfect little tool.

soggycitybob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2013
Portland, OR
Such a clever idea! Wish I had this idea before clearing out all the bamboo in the backyard. Now I'll know what to do with the next stalk that pops up.

Status
Not open for further replies.