PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

writingraav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 11, 2018
I can't say I remember what 759 tasted like back in the day, but I've fallen in love with Black House. Very nearly my perfect blend.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Haven't found any yet. I am liking both BlackHouse and WhiteKnight very much.
WhiteKnight has several advantages over Balkan Sobranie. First off, WK tastes more like Balkan Sobranie than the current incarnation of BS tastes like the BS of yore. Secondly, it's not costing you three times retail for the privilege of buying a famous name and badly reproduced tin art. Third, it's generally easily obtainable.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
From what I've heard of the "new" BS I've not bought any nor do I think I will. I don't want my memory of the BITD version ruined. -sigh-
Bill

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Just to add...White Knight was rather bland to me and I quite enjoy Sobranie with at least three years of aging. By the way my regular smoke is Margate and I quite enjoy Black House, just my .2 cents.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I really like White Knight when I want a smooth creamy "Balkan" style Latakia blend, without some of the spiciness that comes with "English" style latakia blends. However, I also really like Balkan Sobranie and cannot see why it gets all the hate it gets here. I would rank White Knight and the new BS equally, which means I buy White Knight because its cheap and readily available. I would not pay above the average tin price for Balkan Sobranie.
EDIT: I also think White Knight is almost as good as Penzance, though Penzance seems to be more forgiving of smoking too hot.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
However, I also really like Balkan Sobranie and cannot see why it gets all the hate it gets here.
I think there are really two evaluations going on: one is evaluating the blend for what it is, with no context (which is very hard to do). The other is evaluating a blend for what it's cracked up to be, which is a very high bar to clear when you're talking about something like BS.
Imagine if BS were a bulk blend from P&C. People would probably talk about it being an underrated solid mixture. But BS (much like Esoterica) gets a lot of hate because it's got a huge mythology around it which no blend could live up to. People get frustrated either by chasing unobtanium, or because others want to act like it's the be-all end-all of existence to get your hands on some.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I think there are really two evaluations going on: one is evaluating the blend for what it is, with no context (which is very hard to do). The other is evaluating a blend for what it's cracked up to be, which is a very high bar to clear when you're talking about something like BS.
Spot on. There's a lot of BS surrounding BS. My reason for hating it is simple. It just tastes purely awful to me. I literally can't enjoy a single bowl of it.

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
Spot on. There's a lot of BS surrounding BS. My reason for hating it is simple. It just tastes purely awful to me. I literally can't enjoy a single bowl of it.

Agree...I picked up several tins last year...Smoked 2 bowls(awful) and gave them away to a smoke club.

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
Just had my first bowl of Germain BS. Wouldn't call it BS, but mediocre IMO although you can take my opinion with a grain of salt considering my newbie status. Comoy's Cask No. 1 is much cheaper and easily available, and tastes pretty much the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.