PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Yes, it was the first Latakia blend & first flake tobacco that I smoked in the early 70's, if I recall in a clay pipe, & later in a drugstore briar (poor college student). The first non-aromatic, non-OTC for me. I think that it was from Fader's in downtown Baltimore, MD.
I smoked it for about 1-1.5 years until unfortunately picking up the cigarette habit which was cheaper at $0.35-0.50/pack (except for Player's Rounds at $1.00/pack) & more convenient. Also, there were no other pipe smokers in my group of friends & acquaintances Too bad.
It was very, very good.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I am sure he is absolutely correct about the date runs. All I can just tell you is that I saw it for sale in the early 80's in the local railway station tobacco kiosk. It would have been a top shelf tobacco like all Balkan Sobranie blends and way too rich for my pocket. I purchased a few tins of the regular Balkan Sobranie in the early to mid 80s which I never cared for and wound up giving them to Shaintiques 30 years later after finding them in my bedroom drawer after my Mother passed on.

Thepipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2020
WV
I have never heard of Balkan Sobranie Fake. I have seen their cigarettes but this is new. I imagine this would be an amazing blend.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I purchased this flake in 1983 or so in Idaho Falls, Id. A friend had started a pipe shop there. I thought it was a Virginia mixture. I have two empty tins. The underside of the lid says that eleven fully matured tobaccos were combined. Wish I had kept the paper liner it would not doubt had some more information.

James B. Russell inc in NJ distributed it.

It was a very good smoke!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I smoked it, though I don't remember anything about it being distinctively different from the Mixture. Sobranie Ltd produced a number of blends. I loved their Chaliapin cigarettes. Those I remember very well. At $2 a box it represented an hour's wages for me, so I budgeted to be able to buy a pack every month to month and a half.

Last edited:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
That's one I never encountered. I smoked both Original and 759. enjoying Original more, back when I was living in East Lansing and had access to Campbell's, which was one of those places that were fairly common then, but that most of us can only dream of now.
I never ventured into the world of flakes until about 15 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.