Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Now for a quick run-down of the other new-to-me tobacco I just got from SP and tried this evening. First, this is a fine blend that would easily make my rotation. I find its components quite balanced in that I find that the orientals and latakia seem equally notable with Virginias more in the background. The bit of dark fired lends a very welcome earthy, smoky undertone, though how much is latakia "smoke" and how much is from the dark fired, I cannot say. Have not tried many Balkans over the years but find I liked this one better than PS Balkan Supreme for instance because of the addition of the dark fired leaf.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I see (taste) no similarity between Syrian Latakia and DF. I like a lot of the Match blends but, I don’t see how this could be a match for BS or, for that matter, how it could be called a Balkan.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
As I never had the original, wouldn't be able to comment on its similarity to the original. Just that I think it's a mighty fine blend. As to what constitutes a Balkan, I've always understood that to be a blend where the orientals are equal to or somewhat predominant over the latakia.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
As I never had the original, wouldn't be able to comment on its similarity to the original. Just that I think it's a mighty fine blend. As to what constitutes a Balkan, I've always understood that to be a blend where the orientals are equal to or somewhat predominant over the latakia.
..and notice that there is no mention of DF.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Balkan is more of a marketing term than a blend type. Some of us use the word to describe an Oriental forward English but it's still just an English.
Yeah, long ago GL Pease made a convincing argument that the terms English and Balkan as to blend types had no historical significance and lobbied to simply call them all latakia blends. Do find the term Balkan somewhat useful for designating oriental forward latakia blends. But as to taste, one needs to check the blends' ingredient lists to have a better idea of likely taste prior to trying them.

Oct 7, 2016
Both Match 759 and Match BSOSM are excellent candidates for cellaring in depth. How close they might be to “original” is not a very productive discussion since the blends changed over the years. But they are both good in their own right, reasonably priced and usually available (Match BSOSM less so, but it gets restocked).

Reactions: rushx9

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I personally do not buy into this terminology. I posted a thread about that awhile back so, I won’t regurgitate that here. As for ‘marketing’, I understand a business’s desire to use a recognized brand to sell a product. However, if you put corn in a can and call it beans, it is not beans.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
I've never tried the original, but have given P/S Balkan Supreme and Balkan Sasieni a whirl. I purchased an ounce of the 759 from P/C the other day when they had a special on their bulks tobaccos. I'm not sure I liked it. I like oriental forward blends, but this blend struck me as very sour. Tasted nothing like any Balkan I've ever tried. I'm not even sure I noticed the Latakia at all. It was just hot and sour. Tasted more like some of my least favorite vapers than a Balkan.

I keep reading that I should put it away and let it age and I think I will. How does it compare flavor wise to the BSOSM? I had originally intended on buying that, but they were sold out. If they're anything alike, I'll pass.

Reactions: rushx9 and jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
terms for pipe blends mean nothing. Since I could make a cherry aromatic blend with just burly and I could call it's Bob's Balkan blend. Which might explain why there is such robust discussion on what terms mean. The funny thing is it's accurate if you add the word generally. As in generally Balkan means a little more Oriental then what English generally means. :)

Reactions: rushx9 and logs

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I see (taste) no similarity between Syrian Latakia and DF. I like a lot of the Match blends but, I don’t see how this could be a match for BS or, for that matter, how it could be called a Balkan.

I agree. DF might have a lot of uses but to my tastebuds it's no replacement for Syrian leaf (or any other oriental for that matter). If someone is using DF in a Balkan blend it's probably for mouth feel or spice.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
terms for pipe blends mean nothing.

They mean something, they're just not always used with precision. "Balkan" isn't that foggy of a term really. It implies orientals from the Balkan region where those leafs are grown. Moreover, it implies a blend that is similar to the original Balkan Sobranie. Sure there's overlap between Balkan and English but that doesn't make it meaningless... just a bit fluid.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
The BS 759 Match was blended by Russ Oullette for Sutliff. I've read in threads past that it is meant to be a general bulk 759 match and Blackhouse is a match to a specific vintage example. He also claims Dark Fired was used in the original Sobranie, but it may have been dark fired Empire VAs. I like the Match better than Blackhouse as an everyday smoke because of its lack of Perique. Blackhouse is more of a special occasion smoke for me.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I'm more of a GLP BlackPoint fan myself, especially with a couple years on it. It uses perique rather than dark fired to get the spice. But Balkan Supreme and Blackhouse is great too. They're all in the same ballpark. Just some nuances are different

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Agreed. I never had any of the BS variants but find the match to be a great blend.

I've never tried the original, but have given P/S Balkan Supreme and Balkan Sasieni a whirl. I purchased an ounce of the 759 from P/C the other day when they had a special on their bulks tobaccos. I'm not sure I liked it. I like oriental forward blends, but this blend struck me as very sour. Tasted nothing like any Balkan I've ever tried. I'm not even sure I noticed the Latakia at all. It was just hot and sour. Tasted more like some of my least favorite vapers than a Balkan.

I keep reading that I should put it away and let it age and I think I will. How does it compare flavor wise to the BSOSM? I had originally intended on buying that, but they were sold out. If they're anything alike, I'll pass.

if you like Oriental forward blends, I think you would enjoy it very much as far is how I perceive it to be.

Reactions: rushx9

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
They mean something, they're just not always used with precision. "Balkan" isn't that foggy of a term really. It implies orientals from the Balkan region where those leafs are grown. Moreover, it implies a blend that is similar to the original Balkan Sobranie. Sure there's overlap between Balkan and English but that doesn't make it meaningless... just a bit fluid.
yes I should have said they're not definitive and prone to inconsistent usage. But at least we're on the same page with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.