PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
Snagged this at the B&M this morning.
62ED5FD8-3F60-431B-BE9A-5F9937817D48.jpeg

I’ve heard people call it the sobranie replacement. Unfortunately, I never had Balkan Sobranie. So what are your thoughts?

Was Sobranie tart at all? Bc this blend is definitely not. I have a tin of H&H Magnum Opus. It’s an excellent Balkan, but it does have an pungent tartness to it that makes it pretty interesting and gets me stinky looks from my wife.

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
I don't regard it as a replacement for Sobranie. I mean it is a fine blend that plenty of people enjoy it and it is readily available and a good value. But I find it a bit dull and not nearly as flavorful as Germain's recent Sobranie version.

Reactions: dctune

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
This is not even close to the original Balkan Sobranie. If you are interested, Black House taste is not far removed from BS, and it is closer than the Match alternatives.
Having said that, I like Balkan Sasieni as well on its own merits.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This is not even close to the original Balkan Sobranie. If you are interested, Black House taste is not far removed from BS, and it is closer than the Match alternatives.
Having said that, I like Balkan Sasieni as well on its own merits.
BH was formulated for a contest to recreate Balkan Sobranie 759 back in 2011. It's available in bulk from Sutliff as Balkan Sobranie 759 Match.

Jun 23, 2019
I forget which major blender does it (off the top of my head I'm thinking Sutliff?) but there's a couple of match blends - both tin and bulk - that are pretty darn close.

If you're patient enough to age them north of 5/6 years, they get really good.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Ditto to the above. I actually like Sutliff Balkan Sobranie Orig. Mix Match better than the standard Balkan Sobranie, which is a real boon for me considering it's so inexpensive and readily available. Plus it comes good to go, no dry time needed, which is something I'm always a big fan of.

Balkan Sasieni I find to be excellent as well, just different. Lovely smoke on a chilly evening...can't wait for October again! ??

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
While Sasieni is not close to the old BSOSM, I personally prefer it to the current version, which I don't care for at all.