PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
In Fred J. Hanna's book The Perfect Smoke, Fred describes baking tobacco in the tin to speed up the aging process. He recommends baking the tin with the label on for about five hours at just under 200 degrees. I decided to try his experiment with a 2020 tin of GLP Union Square, a lovely blend that can be a bit rough before it gets a little age. The baking presumably mellow outs and sweetens the flavor.

My oven is not finely enough calibrated to maintain 190 degrees so I set it to between 150 and 200 and left in for five hours before turning off the oven and letting it cool overnight. The tin swelled up but didn't burst. I cut open the tin the next morning ( had to use a knife) and took a look. The first thing that hit me was the rich bakery aroma, far more than I would normally detect. The flakes were quite moist but moderately darkened from their light golden color when fresh. I sampled a bowl in my Castello great line fiammata, a reliably good smoker. As predicted, the flavor was richer, mellower and sweeter than I remembered the fresh tobacco to be. There was absolutely no harshness or bite. No rough edges.

Is baking tobacco something I will do with all my tins? (BTW, you have to use sealed tins like the ones used by C&D for this.) Probably not, but I might try it again on some other Virginias that could use a little softening. Thanks Fred for sharing your experience in your excellent book. There is always something new to learn and experiments to try in pursuit of "the perfect smoke."IMG_6405.jpegIMG_6407.jpegIMG_6408.jpegIMG_6410.jpeg

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You have to take anything Fred says with a grain of salt as even he rarely takes himself seriously. Many here have posted satisfying results in baking tins but if you want to do the same without wasting electricity, leave a tin on your car dash in full exposure to sunlight for a couple of days. It's not really speeding the aging, but stoving it.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I have sous vided tobacco in a jar to "stove" it with good success.

Related thread:

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
we have a whole thread on it here

I did Wessex Gold VA Flake @ 190F for 4 hours in a mason jar a few months ago and the results were good. I posted about it somewhere in that thread.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I never baked mine in the tins but have been curious to. I bake it in jars, or do like Chasing said and leave it in sunlight on a hot day.
Have you tested any yet @dunnyboy ?
I haven't tried leaving it bottled in the sun but that sounds like a great idea, especially since some tins are not likely to hold their seal and I have lots of jars that might benefit from some baking!

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
That tin certainly looked fat and ripe. 😁
It's the first time I hear about this method although I knew about heat treatment, even tried my own variation of it. But I never would've thought of this. And now I wonder if it would be possible in a mason jar, one that has no plastics on the lid or anywhere else.

Maybe poke a little hole in the lid so that the glass doesn't burst from the pressure and put it in hot simmering water. I don't know, but it's a very inspiring post, at least to me.

So thanks for that.

Reactions: dunnyboy

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
we have a whole thread on it here

I did Wessex Gold VA Flake @ 190F for 4 hours in a mason jar a few months ago and the results were good. I posted about it somewhere in that thread.
Sorry, I searched for cooking and baking (not stoving!) but didn't discover that thread. Will have a look!

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I have sous vided tobacco in a jar to "stove" it with good success.

Related thread:
I'll toss in a jar of tobacco next time I sous vide a steak!

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
And now I wonder if it would be possible in a mason jar, one that has no plastics on the lid or anywhere else.

Maybe poke a little hole in the lid so that the glass doesn't burst from the pressure and put it in hot simmering water. I don't know, but it's a very inspiring post, at least to me.

Use a two part lid ball mason jar and you use tin foil over the top instead of the top it comes with, then keep it in place with the locking ring like it was a normal top. I did mine at 190F for 4 hours and there was only the slightest bulge. The thread I linked goes into more detail about the process but its straight forward and easy to do.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I'll toss in a jar of tobacco next time I sous vide a steak!
I haven't tried a tin, but should work. I used a rock to keep the jar submerged. Since you are going at a lower temperature, you will likely want to do it for a bit longer than you would in an oven at a higher temp. Here is a link to the post that includes the process I followed:

I've "stoved" Sun Bear in sealed Mason jar using sous vide at 200F for 300 minutes with very tasty results. Let jar sit unopened for 2 weeks after pulling it from the water bath. I just hand tightened the jar and it was enough such that water did not get it. Weigh down the jar with a rock. I also had it on a trivet in the water to allow flow all around the jar.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
That tin certainly looked fat and ripe. 😁
It's the first time I hear about this method although I knew about heat treatment, even tried my own variation of it. But I never would've thought of this. And now I wonder if it would be possible in a mason jar, one that has no plastics on the lid or anywhere else.

So thanks for that.
Thanks. Apparently this topic was discussed under "stoving" but I missed it. Some people have suggested leaving a tin or jar in the sun or putting it into a sous vide bath. I would have some concern myself about a ball jar under pressure but they are used for preserves, which involves boiling (albeit not with the lid on).

Reactions: Chaukisch

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I ran this experiment, I'd opt for the sunny dashboard of my car rather than the oven. If a tin did burst, that might get messy or even destructive. You were gentle with the temperature, but as you point out, most ovens are not very precise. I think the car interior would be a safer option.

Since I smoke moderately, most of my tins get aged by default. I buy a little more than I smoke, and blends accumulate.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Just opened the jar again for a second bowl. Wow! Intense smell of fruit leather. Makes you want to eat the stuff! The smoke is wonderful. Is it in my head or am I tasting caramel and croissants, even black licorice.

Reactions: Chaukisch

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
Use a two part lid ball mason jar and you use tin foil over the top instead of the top it comes with, then keep it in place with the locking ring like it was a normal top. I did mine at 190F for 4 hours and there was only the slightest bulge. The thread I linked goes into more detail about the process but its straight forward and easy to do.
Good idea, no need to waste a good lid. Do you use an oven or water bath?
I don't see why dry or wet heat would matter in this case. But I guess that using a cooking plate with a pot of water would eat up less energy than heating up an oven.

Apparently this topic was discussed under "stoving" but I missed it.
This forum maintains a vast pool of knowledge and information. Imagine what it is like for me,
a slightly advanced pipe and tobacco rookie. It's quite overwhelming when you just want to soak it all up.
Not much unlike a pipe.

Some people have suggested leaving a tin or jar in the sun or putting it into a sous vide bath. I would have some concern myself about a ball jar under pressure but they are used for preserves, which involves boiling (albeit not with the lid on).
Absolutely, that's why I thought about a small hole in the lid for some pressure release. The tin/aluminium foil that Peter Turbo suggested seems like an even better idea.
Although I'm always a little paranoid about aluminium coupled with high heat exposure and contact with my consumables. But I figure this particular process shouldn't do much harm, if any.

I'd be more concerned about exposing the readily made tobacco product to sunlight.

Reactions: dunnyboy