PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
One of the all-time great cheap lunches. Unfortunately, because it's the Bay Area, there has been a rise in yuppified, $9 banh mi out here. Admittedly, they're usually pretty good, just unecessary. Luckily, there are still plenty of good spots for the real, and cheaper, deal.

The combination of baguette, sauce, and a little smear of pate.... Just fantastic! The roast/bbq pork varieties are my favorites, but I also like the classic versions with all the weird cold cuts and head cheeses and things.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I used to go to Vietnam a lot and spent a bunch of time in HCMC. I’d get one of these every morning for breakfast and was so outraged at the prices that I’d try a different spot every morning and never even began to touch a fraction of the options.

It really started to piss me off because, although they were all made fresh by people who had been doing it their entire lives, and although they were all absolutely incredible, I could never find one that cost me less than $0.07.

At those prices, it’s tough to justify eating them daily. I suppose I’ll continue the search if/when I return.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
Love my time in Vietnam, loved Banh Mi in Saigon, and even though it's not the same, I love American Vietnamese food too.

In the Bay Area I'll recommend the chain of restaurants called "Lee's" or "Pho Play" in Castro Valley. Neither are cheap or wholly authentic but both are very tasty.

Reactions: danimalia

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Love my time in Vietnam, loved Banh Mi in Saigon, and even though it's not the same, I love American Vietnamese food too.

In the Bay Area I'll recommend the chain of restaurants called "Lee's" or "Pho Play" in Castro Valley. Neither are cheap or wholly authentic but both are very tasty.
Pho Play sounds risqué. There was a place in Auburn WA called "Pho King", which was hard to tell folks to meet you at.

Reactions: spicy_boiii
Status
Not open for further replies.