PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
With the lack of availability in certain blends, Carter Hall to be specific, I have been searching a bit for something to fill that void. Being a smooth, well behaved tobacco, that doesn't take all my cash to have a fair quantity on hand. This caught my eye since I do enjoy a Backwoods cigar now, and then...and at about $12 a lb. it was hard to pass. It is not CH, and isn't trying to be flavor wise, so don't think I am trying to put that out there. Opening the bag it has a relatively sweet, and pleasant aroma. I would think there is some variety of topping here, but they will ship it to me so, in theory it does not. The bag claims it to be a straight Burley/VA blend. Out of the bag, it does burn well enough, has a small potential for bite if smoked quickly, but lacks in the flavor dept. basically all together. I have tried mixing in a few straight blending tobaccos to give it some interest with limited success, and have not come up with any recipes that are worth repeating as of yet. I decided to revisit this blend recently with an old timers trick for some of the drug store blends. Pulled a couple ounces out, and stuck it a paper lunch bag to draw out moisture, PG, or other possibly undesirable additives that may be in there. Let it sit the table all day while I was at work. All of a sudden it becomes something entirely reasonable. Any hints at biting are gone, very well behaved in the pipe, and there is some flavor to be had. Not really pronounced, but enough to hold some interest. Mellow, easy going, with a background of some sweetness that I would not call vanilla, or any of the other more common flavors associated with cheaper blends. To my palate, I would say molasses is what comes to mind. This is not a blend where I notice nicotine content, but I don't with CH either. In summary, this not a replacement for CH, but may be a decent thing to try if you budget is limiting, and you favor a lightly sweet, all day kind of smoke.

A little side note on PG, as a licensed trapper, I can tell you this is added to liquid attractants to prevent freezing, and slow evaporation. That being said, for blends containing this as a flavor binding agent, just letting the bag/tin sit open on the table may not be as effective as you would like.

Attachments

• 0408210827.jpg
    0408210827.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 5
weird I thought they where brown grocery bags ground up and sprayed with tobacco juice.
Head Tilt GIF by Game of Thrones: #PrepareForWinter - Find & Share on GIPHY

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I would think there is some variety of topping here, but they will ship it to me so, in theory it does not.
There's a law against shipping topped tobacco to you? Who did you piss off?
Almost all commercially released tobaccos have some sort of flavoring added to them, whether it's a sugar casing or something much more extensive.
Let us know if you enjoy the tobacco. Lots of interest here in an inexpensive option.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
There's a law against shipping topped tobacco to you? Who did you piss off?
Welcome to Massachusetts! We have a law against the sale of any "flavored" tobacco. Whiskey, rum, vanilla, wintergreen, menthol basically anything that isn't just tobacco. If you can prove this or anything else has topping or other....just don't say anything... FREEDOM!!

• Wow
Reactions: philobeddoe
Status
Not open for further replies.