PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPh

Lurker
Jan 18, 2020
Boston, MA
For some time I've been experimenting with heating up pipe tobacco (not smoking it) to scent a room. On this forum I've been given very good candidates for this purpose, such as Molto Dolce and Crème Brûlée.

One tobacco I found to work well is Backwoods Buttered Rum. I was wondering if there are tobaccos that have similar fragrance when drying out.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Wuce Brayne

Might Stick Around
Apr 19, 2021
I'm not sure about using tobacco as a source of passive room fragrance, but I can say that Boswell's Christmas Cookie is a great Aromatic by way of it's room note. It isn't the most flavorful but it smells really nice.

JPh

Lurker
Jan 18, 2020
Boston, MA
The other thing is that room note doesn't correlate with the smell released when tobacco is warmed up (on a cup or candle warmer) and dries out . I tried a good number of aromatics with great room note and most proved disappointing in that regard.

Reactions: BROBS

Wuce Brayne

Might Stick Around
Apr 19, 2021
The other thing is that room note doesn't correlate with the smell released when tobacco is warmed up (on a cup or candle warmer) and dries out . I tried a good number of aromatics with great room note and most proved disappointing in that regard.
Yeah,with a lot of those, you'll just be toasting PG and you'll wind up with more of a chemical smell than a nice aroma. For this reason I'd stay way from OTC and Bulk Lane Blends for something like this.

JPh

Lurker
Jan 18, 2020
Boston, MA
sprinkle tobacco on top of the metal surface of their wood stove. Made a nice fragrance
That's the whole idea, @Sweet Home Alabama.

I tried a variety of Aromatics (e.g. Lane BCA, Amphora, Captain Black, McBarren Virginia flakes, P&C Virginia Gold, Lane Limited Dark Red, MATCH Carter Hall, Lane Limited 1-Q, Backwoods Black N Gold, etc.) and none of them worked (I made the mistake of sending for free all the tobacco I hadn't used to someone on this forum who didn't respond; I was hoping to exchange bits of tobacco for testing purpose).

Tobaccos that work well are moist, "goopy", first and foremost Crème Brûlée, which is also cheap. But some other moist Sutliff Aromatics, such as Valilla Custard or Sutliff Stoved Black Virginia, don't work. And the thing about Backwoods Buttered Rum is that it's not goopy, and yet it exudes a very nice fragrance when heated up.

Someone suggested I spray tobacco with PG and Glyceryn but that didn't work.

So I'm still exploring. It takes very little tobacco on a hot surface to get it to release a scent, or not. If you try it, please let me know.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
That's the whole idea, @Sweet Home Alabama.

I tried a variety of Aromatics (e.g. Lane BCA, Amphora, Captain Black, McBarren Virginia flakes, P&C Virginia Gold, Lane Limited Dark Red, MATCH Carter Hall, Lane Limited 1-Q, Backwoods Black N Gold, etc.) and none of them worked (I made the mistake of sending for free all the tobacco I hadn't used to someone on this forum who didn't respond; I was hoping to exchange bits of tobacco for testing purpose).

Tobaccos that work well are moist, "goopy", first and foremost Crème Brûlée, which is also cheap. But some other moist Sutliff Aromatics, such as Valilla Custard or Sutliff Stoved Black Virginia, don't work. And the thing about Backwoods Buttered Rum is that it's not goopy, and yet it exudes a very nice fragrance when heated up.

Someone suggested I spray tobacco with PG and Glyceryn but that didn't work.

So I'm still exploring. It takes very little tobacco on a hot surface to get it to release a scent, or not. If you try it, please let me know.
You could try a cast iron skilled at low heat . Takes them about 5 minutes to reach desired temperature

JPh

Lurker
Jan 18, 2020
Boston, MA
Interesting suggestions, @BROBS. I wonder how that would work with oil though. Have you tried it yourself?

Another option people talk about is potpourri but I haven't tried it.

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
We used to do this back when we were teenagers. Take all the Blunt "guts" and put them in a dish with a little water and microwave to make the appt smell like Grape, Peach, Strawberry, etc. It doesn't work real well but we were trying to figure out a way to recycle all that tobacco rather than waste it.... oh to be a kid again lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.