PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Judson

Lurker
Mar 25, 2022
I would like to find a church warden which has a multi-piece stem that breaks down more compactly. Anyone seen such a beast?

Reactions: Templekeeper

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What you're describing sounds similar to a library pipe, a kind of pipe that came with several lengths of stemming that could be attached to one another to form a stem of varying length. These haven't been made for over a century. Occasionally Butz Choquin puts out a special model of an ancient pipe from their past. And there are the Hans Christian Andersen pipes that are sold with two stems of differing length. Best bet is to have one made for you.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I would recommend a pipe that comes with a hard case. Otherwise I'd say that churchwardens and (storage in) backpacks are somewhat incompatible.

Reactions: SBC

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Well then ! It would seem those would take their own back pack. But they look too expensive to take backpacking. Maybe the O.P can try something like Gandalf's staff instead ???

Pipe Staff of Gandalf the Grey by Weta Workshop - https://www.wetanz.com/shop/prop-replicas/pipe-staff-of-gandalf-the-grey

View attachment 136293
I've taken them hiking on multiple occasions and they stay in their hard cases in my backpack when nor being smoked. I mostly smoke meerschaum with the occasional briar.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
A Savinelli Partner Deluxe would work if you can find one.

View attachment 136320View attachment 136321
I've never seen something like that before ! I was wondering if something similar was ever made to convert a 1mm regular pipe to a filter pipe without having to re-drill the stummel and get a new stem. It would seem to me ( with no manufacturing experience at all) that something could be made to do that.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I, too, would take a corncob. You could get a regular-length stem and a churchwarden stem, smoke short while hiking, smoke long while camping.

Reactions: NomadOrb

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I hope you find what you want in a pipe you can backpack in pieces, but I'd also consider the alternatives. A nose warmer (short-stemmed) MM cob almost begs to go backpacking being so light weight and compact. It may not fulfill your fantasy of sitting by the fire with that long stem, but it is made to order for low maintenance portability. You could get one as an alternative and see which works best; some of the MM editions come with acrylic stems for less than thirty bucks. And they float. And they tend to use the blend to the bottom of the bowl for added efficiency. Or you could get one of the MM cob churchwardens and just take care to pack it to minimize potential for breakage.