PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Vulcanite stems keep returning to green / brown after cleaning.

Embers had some advice that cleans them up nicely but the very next smoke it’s like I didn’t do anything at all.

I’m using magic erasers and toothpaste and a jewelry cloth but no power tools or buffer. Follow up with obsidian oil. For the record the stems are not terrible, mostly just near the bite zone / button area.

Looks great. One smoke later, back where I started.

Can someone please instruct me how to maintain my vulcanite stems.

Mostly it’s a small thing but it’s annoying.

I understand they might not be shiny jet black without buffing. Most of my workhorse pipes have a slightly matte black stem but don’t have that bite zone browning. I’m fine with semi matte black - unless someone has a tip for shining without a buffer....

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
I had one Stanwell that did the same thing just at the button area no matter what I tried to do to fix it. I thought maybe that one stem was reacting to my saliva. No other stem reacted like that one.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Ebonite/vulcanite is a "concept" like bread or cheese. Same basics but many varieties.

Batches are different for all sorts of reasons, and quality also varies.

The "Insta-Green" stuff---we used to call them Polaroid stems---can't be stopped from doing its thing by any means I'm aware of. Slowed a bit by frequent wipe-downs, kept in the dark, etc., but it's gonna do what it's gonna do.

BTW, acrylic is exactly the same. One concept, many recipes/formulas. It varies a lot in performance as well.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Have you truly removed all the oxidation? Look at it in bright sunlight. Get a set of micro-mesh sticks. The finest is finer than magic eraser and toothpaste. That last oxidized spot may not show until you have it shined all the way up. Good luck.

Reactions: lightmybriar

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
As I've said before, on similar threads, I've had very good results with: step 1, damp Magic Eraser; step 2, Flitz cream (non-abrasive, non-toxic) polish; step 3, Obsidian oil.
Keep them out of direct or indirect sunlight.
And, yes, some stems are more difficult than others. My Upshalls turn green if I look at them, and some stems are just more affected by saliva and softy bits.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
If you haven't sanded, you have not removed all of the oxidation. All the oil, grease and other potions in the world won't stop oxidation once it starts. And, as George says, some brands material is more prone than others. James Upshall's, with their pre-molded stems seem to be the worst of the Brits (which caused me to sell most of my James Upshall pipes).

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Hmm, okay then it’s not me. Most of my pipes just don’t do this, but the ones that do are persistent offenders. Maybe it’s that stem reacting with saliva as suggested.

Even micro mesh sanding doesn’t make it go away although it sure looks good until I gaze away for a moment. Put the damn thing in my mouth and do the charring light and BANG back to brown.

Worst offenders are 3x Edward’s and an otherwise fantastic Comoy’s.

Sounds like a learn to live with it thing.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Are you a chewer or grinder on the stem? That will dig into the Vulcanite. Keep in mind some people have more, and I'm not sure if it's the right term, acidic saliva that others. Most of the time, putting on a little Obsidian after each smoke will take it back it black. And as mentioned, not all Vulcanite is created equal. Upshall, awesome briar, crappy bits (still worth buying in my opion. They are one of the cheaper hand made pipes and Rich Lewis can make you a stamped Lucite stem reasonably.) Here is what I would do.

1. Get some oxyclean and give it a bath, bring up all the oxidation.
2. Toothpaste or Flitz it with the Magic Eraser until it looks like Embers.
3. Put some Obisidian on it.
4. If it's a trouble pipe like this, slip a piece of heat shrink on it about one inch long on the and if the but and shrink it. No more worry. I'm a chewer so I use rubber bits (I might be part bear). I found they stick better with a bit of shrink wrap on the stem and the shrink wrap keeps the stem from oxidizing underneath it. I still out Obsidian on the rest of the stem but the combination has made maintenance much faster.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
How does that work?
Did a video a while back but YouTube deleted it for inappropriate content: tobacco.

Reactions: rushx9

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm about to attempt it on a lightly oxidized stem. Any tips or things I should watch out for?
Work slowly and in small areas at a time. Don't heat the entire stem. Wave the flame back and forth over a small area like you are painting it. The area will become lightly blackened like a surface layer of soot and you wipe that away with the wet towel. It may take a few passes, but it does work. If you smell hot vulcanite, you're getting it too hot.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Work slowly and in small areas at a time. Don't heat the entire stem. Wave the flame back and forth over a small area like you are painting it. The area will become lightly blackened like a surface layer of soot and you wipe that away with the wet towel. It may take a few passes, but it does work. If you smell hot vulcanite, you're getting it too hot.
Thanks! I noticed in the other thread of the restore you did, you mentioned polishing with toothpaste? What kind would be best for that?

Reactions: rushx9
Status
Not open for further replies.