PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Which do you prefer

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you who don't know, Baccyflaps were made for carrying tobacco with you for your pipe. The original (and more elusive) model was called the Wunup Baccyflap. It was made out of bakelite between 1937 and the mid 1950's They stopped making the Bakelite model due to the expensive process required to make the material and started making them out of a hard plastic from the mid 50's through early 60's The plastic model was called the Parker Baccyflap although both models were made by the Parker Company of England.

The preferred collectible model is the Wunup model made out of Bakelite. They were damn near bulletproof as evidenced by the excellent example shown below on the left (and top on the second pic). It's gotta be pushing 70 years old! Not a chip on it and the threads are still like new.

They unscrewed and hold up to 35-40 grams of tobacco. You can still find them on eBay and elsewhere today although you have to really want one because they command very high prices.

The plastic model is a bit flimsy and subject to distortion and cracking if stored (and sat upon) in the back pocket of your jeans. Consequently, while still pretty pricey, not as collectible.

I have used the Baccyflap for short 2-4 day trips to hold my stash and it has performed flawlessly. It's surprising how many veteran pipe smokers know immediately what it is and what it does. It's old, nostalgic and reminiscent of a bygone era when "There was a place for everything, and everything was in its place".

Because of its age, I am still concerned about damaging it when using it so I don't take it into the mountains hiking, camping, or biking. For rough activities I use another type of tobacco storage device. A sort of "Modern Day" Baccyflap. It's called a Flapjack.

The flapjack, pictured above on the right (and bottom) is a modern, sleek, made of aircraft grade anodize coated (READ: tough as nails) storage disk that is kept together by an O-Ring. It holds a bit less tobacco than the Baccyflap, up to about 20 grams (which for me is like 8-10 pipes). and REALLY ARE bulletproof!

Although the giant logo is a bit cheeky, the disc is great quality and would last many lifetimes.

My question to you is which do you prefer? Modern and sleek or old and nostalgic?

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
Love them both, and usually prefer the old original! I call it a distiction without a difference. One is old, and no longer available, one is new and available. Both made with the material of their time. Agreed, not a fan of the logo on the new one (but likely easily removed).
I have posted elsewhere here about a few Snus containers I repurpose for “traveling” pipe tobacco. The original plastic containers, as well as the O ring sealed Ice Tool versions, and a couple screw top machined aluminum versions. I need to look for one of the current “flapjacks” now! Very nice...

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
Pix of my repurposed snus containers:

The gold one has a press fit o-ring seal, and the black one is a screw top with o-ring seal. Sizes are 2 3/4 inch diameter by 3/4 inch tall, and 3 inch by 1 inch.
I’m searching for the “real deal” from the OP now...!

Status
Not open for further replies.