PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Gents I had one of those evenings. Life stress led me outside in the dark. Beautiful clear night about 55 degrees, no wind, stars in the sky, sitting back relaxing with some Tito’s vodka (I was out of Jack Daniels) and had me a cob of Edward G Robinson. Looking up at the stars figuring it all out in my head. The vodka and smoke kinda complimented each other, or at least the more I partook it seemed so.

This led me to think what are others favorite combos of choice between drink and pipe? I don’t have a lot of experience with either, but ready to experiment.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I don't like to overthink smoke and drink combos.

Most of the time it's what I feel like smoking and what I feel like drinking on the day.
My tipple of choice is cognac or rum, seldom whisky/whiskey. If it's a hot day, then a gin&tonic or Campari&soda.

Mostly the smoke is quite forgiving of the drink, and vice versa. Very occasionally do I think "won't try that again".

I love vintage port and cigars, but the days of finishing a half-bottle on my lonesome are long over ?

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
It is a matter of testing. There are many factors, moods, tastes and tolerances. This reminds me of when I sometimes give a varnish of brandy or whiskey to a cigar that I am going to smoke, previously giving it a dry beforehand. Other times I dampen some tobacco and once dry I smoke it with that aftertaste of the favorite liquor that you like and it gives me very good results. Enjoy my friend

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Within the alcohol realm, I would have to say that I love to pair a good VA with a vodka tonic, and a VaPer with a Scotch highball (scotch + ginger ale w/lime). But my overall favorite? Hot coffee with a hearty burley blend absolutely scratches that itch to the fullest. :coffee:puffy
Oh the morning coffee and smoke is my favorite. I have never had a highball and might try. I am not necessarily a big drinker but Dec - April in Texas has some great cool weather for outdoors or to chill around a fire pit. When I do I need a beverage and am looking to move away for cold beer. Like the neat liquors.