PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
There's always leftover tobacco in my bowl, as pictured. Is that normal? This is a Cavendish, if that matters.

I pack the bowl loosely, loading the entire bowl at the same degree of packy-ness. After smoking for a while, I tamp the char down and then continue till it suddenly goes out. No relights up to that point.

It goes out at what appears to be the halfway point, and I can't burn the remainder even with a relight.Screenshot_20210428-115340_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210428-115340_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210428-115340_Gallery.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 6

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's called dottle, and a little is standard. For some reason, MM cobs tend to end up with almost none, but most pipes leave a little. No problem. Ignore it. Sherlock Holmes, in the stories used to pick out unburnt bits and collect them to smoke. Since the dottle has already acted a sort of filter, I don't think it would be particularly good, but Sherlock liked it.

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
Your process stirs up many questions. Sounds like you might be tamping too hard. The tobacco should be relit and smoked unless it is no longer enjoyable. Tamp softer and more frequently to ensure burning of the remaining tobacco.

Reactions: seanv

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
That's called dottle, and a little is standard. For some reason, MM cobs tend to end up with almost none, but most pipes leave a little. No problem. Ignore it. Sherlock Holmes, in the stories used to pick out unburnt bits and collect them to smoke. Since the dottle has already acted a sort of filter, I don't think it would be particularly good, but Sherlock liked it.
Thank you mso489. This is one of the reasons I'm enjoying this hobby so much - you can just smoke, or you can dig into a surprisingly deep "bowl" of history, technique, camaraderie, and even a whole new vocabulary. I can't wait to tell my fellow contractor friend his work is dottle.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
normal and some blends will give you more some less. If it bothers you, you can make sure you pack the bottom super lightly, dry the tobacco more, or even buy screens or clay pads to create an air pocket. If you're a freelance old time detective with a doctor side kick you can even put it in a slipper over your fire place.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The tobacco is either too wet to start or you may be smoking too fast, heating it up, which creates steam and in turn, causes the tobacco in the bottom of the bowl to get wet. It's not unusual to have some dottle left in the bottom of the bowl but no 1/4 to 1/2 of the bowl. My personal experience is to have only a fine ash left to maybe a couple of crumbs. Occasionally, either I pack too tight, smoke to hot or my tobacco was too wet and I end up with a mess of unsmoked tobacco at the bottom. It happens from time to time, I don't give it much thought.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I used to dawdle over dottle but I have learned to let go a bit. So many variables factor into the smoke. For me, properly dried tobacco and thoughtful packing are key. In the humid summer months, I won't hesistate to toss a flake in the microwave.

That said, if I end up tossing a small wet plug at the end of the bowl, no big deal. That chunk of leaf did its job as a filter and I am not gonna fight to smoke a small bit of sour/wet tobacco.

Good luck!

mparker762

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2021
Houston, TX
There's always leftover tobacco in my bowl, as pictured. Is that normal? This is a Cavendish, if that matters.
As others have said, some is normal. The amount of dottle I have is heavily dependent on the ambient humidity, in winter I have almost none, in summer here in Houston it can be quite a bit. Cavendish blends tend to leave more dottle. Gourd calabash pipes will always smoke to the bottom for me with no problems, but they're pretty much the only pipes that will do that in this weather. Meerschaums and cobs are probably next best.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Reactions: LikeDadDid