PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
There are reviews for pretty much every type of commercial tobacco out there, and reading them definitely helps, but I thought of a concept to make first time order decision making a little more interesting.
The scene is as follows: you've just selected several different tins, and now have capacity/budget for just one more and you need to decide between up to 3 different possibilities. You select the 3 that should battle it out, while each other member can chip in with which of the 3 they would go for and why. Once a member provides their choice and reasoning for an existing bac battle, they can offer their own 3 tobaccos to battle it out, and thus enjoy getting specific feedback from other experienced members regarding which of the 3 they'd prefer and why.
I'll try and start with a proof of concept: Bac Battle 1: A Virginia flake battle

1) Samuel Gawith - Sam's Flake (Kendal Mayor's Collection)

2) Samuel Gawith - St. James Flake (Kendal Mayor's Collection)

3) Peterson - University Flake
Which would you choose if you could choose only one, and why?

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
Cool idea....
I'd go with St James. I haven't tried any of these blends yet, but St. James is supposed to be kind of a quintessential, sweet VaPer flake. I really enjoy that type of blend.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
The problem I see is none of those would be considered a Virginia flake.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
My weakness is that I always like to try new things (caveat: "Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver, and the other gold").

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I like the concept. It would be cool to have a number of members buy new three tins, crack then open and pick a favorite. Problem is agreeing on what tins would be selected. That would be like herding cats. The two I have cellared are:
Union Square

and

Opening Night
I suppose I could throw in
FVF

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
+1 jmatt
Nice idea but this particular comparison is a bit apples and oranges. Do you like orientals (Sam's), perique (St. James) or burley (University) with your VA.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I'd go with:
McCranies Red Flake

McClelland Christmas Cheer (any year)

Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake

Status
Not open for further replies.