PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Good morning!

I have been rattling my head trying to figure this one out and I figured with all the knowledge here, someone might know. A few years ago I was recovering from a surgery and was watching daytime TV and turned to a classic movie channel (AMC/TMC?). I watched this black and white film where American troops would turn German POW's into spies and send them back behind enemy lines as spies. The movie was actually very entertaining and eye-opening on the fact that there were some German/Nazi soldiers who helped Americans by becoming spies. Anyways, I remember very little of the movie but specifically remember the ending Spoiler Alert. The American spy and the German spy had to cross a body of water to get away from a German patrol that was in hot pursuit of both men. Instead of both jumping in the water, the German spy let the American go into the water and swim away while he stayed behind and gave himself up, this allowed the American soldier to escape unharmed to the friendly side.

Does this movie sound familiar to anyone? I was under the influence of pain killers and can not remember the names of the actors or the name of the movie...

Thank you!

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I watched last night. It is the sort of WW 2 movie I like these days - not focused on the fighting but depicts another side of the war. Oskar Werner is particularly good. Plus it has Hans Christian Blecher (hope I have the name right), a familiar face from better known war flicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.