SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 1, 2022
HI everyone... I just stumbled across this forum and was wondering if anyone knew of any good brick and mortar stores for pipe tobacco? It seems as if most of the head-shop-type of tobacco stores have stopped carrying pipe tobacco and the cigar stores dont have much beyond the party store variety.

Maison Edwards in Ann Arbor is about 30 minutes away, which isn't a big deal, but parking can be a huge pain (especially when the closest parking is a six block walk from the storefront - and its 90 degrees!). I would love to find somewhere in Novi or west of Novi (I get out to Brighton quite often) with a decent selection of pipe tobaccos. I've broken down to ordering online mostly, but would appreciate someplace I could stop at and grab something new to try or stock up.

Thanks!!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing in that area, although I am an east sider, so may not be up to date. There's Campbell's in East Lansing, and Paul's up in Flint. Used to be a place in Ann Arbor called Tobacco Rose, too, but I have no idea if it is still in business.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing in that area, although I am an east sider, so may not be up to date. There's Campbell's in East Lansing, and Paul's up in Flint. Used to be a place in Ann Arbor called Tobacco Rose, too, but I have no idea if it is still in business.
I was going to suggest a road trip to Paul's or Campbell's. Both are awesome in their own way but I give the nod to Paul's.

There is one shop in the Gross Point area, the name of which escapes me.

Of course Wild Bill's are a chain and focus on other things, but they do tend to carry tins of Ashton's (like Consummate Gentleman). However, I am not of fan of their house blends (whether truly for pipes or RYO).

mahew

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2017
Kentucky Hills and Hollers
I highly recommend the trip to Paul’s. There are not many 90+ year old pipe shops around, and his pipe museum is fun to see as well. My son and I were visiting the shop together and were even given a personal tour. Not to mention the extensive inventory of pipes! I can’t say enough good things about this shop.

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Welcome from Bloomfield Twp. Hill & Hill in GRosse Pointe but you will only find house blends. Don’t bother with Maison in A2 it’s not what it once was. The guys are right you gotta road trip. Haggerty and 14 mile there is Aroma Cigar Lounge which has tins randomly but a call is worth it. Smokey’s in Bloomfield or Churchills in Bham has MacBaren and Peterson tins.

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Also you can expect to pay double what your paying online. I try to always buy from our locals when they have something I like because soon enough it will be our only option. Cultivating the need for our tobacco retailers to stock it so we can buy it is so important.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome from Bloomfield Twp. Hill & Hill in GRosse Pointe but you will only find house blends. Don’t bother with Maison in A2 it’s not what it once was. The guys are right you gotta road trip. Haggerty and 14 mile there is Aroma Cigar Lounge which has tins randomly but a call is worth it. Smokey’s in Bloomfield or Churchills in Bham has MacBaren and Peterson tins.
What Jim does have at Hill & Hill is a good selection of pipes, although there may not be a lot on display.
Paul's is definitely worth the trip. It's a legend in the pipe world.

Reactions: trudger
Jul 1, 2022
Thanks for all the replies! It looks like I'll have to check out Paul's... the selection on the website is incredible, so it looks like I'm making a road trip!

(Aroma Cigar lounge is about 10 minutes from where I work, so I'll be taking a lunch-time trip to see if they have anything on hand)

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
HI everyone... I just stumbled across this forum and was wondering if anyone knew of any good brick and mortar stores for pipe tobacco? It seems as if most of the head-shop-type of tobacco stores have stopped carrying pipe tobacco and the cigar stores dont have much beyond the party store variety.

Maison Edwards in Ann Arbor is about 30 minutes away, which isn't a big deal, but parking can be a huge pain (especially when the closest parking is a six block walk from the storefront - and its 90 degrees!). I would love to find somewhere in Novi or west of Novi (I get out to Brighton quite often) with a decent selection of pipe tobaccos. I've broken down to ordering online mostly, but would appreciate someplace I could stop at and grab something new to try or stock up.

Thanks!!
Other than Paul's Pipe Shop up in Flint, which is an institution by the way, Campbell's over in East Lansing and Hill's over on the eastside, there are none. I used to live up there and still get to there area quite often. On the UofM campus there is Maisson Edwards but they a super expensive so I won't go back.

Reactions: judcole

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I doubt pipe and pipe tobacco shops have enough of a revenue stream to justify marketing studies to choose locations. I know this isn't the question, but the idea piqued my interest. My observation is that pipe shops tend to succeed (to the degree that they do) in cities, mostly larger, where there are shopping areas with heavy foot traffic to draw in browsing shoppers; around campuses where there is a substantial customer base of faculty and students; and in tourist areas, where people are looking for new experiences.

I think some online retailers also operate B&M shops because they have enough revenue from their online sales to do so, even if they are in less populated areas. For a fairly comprehensive retailer list, take a look at the retailer directory at the top of the window on this site. They may not have them all, but they have a pretty good information source from the membership.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I doubt pipe and pipe tobacco shops have enough of a revenue stream to justify marketing studies to choose locations. I know this isn't the questions, but the idea piqued my interest. My observation is that pipe shops tend to succeed (to the degree that they do) in cities, mostly larger, where there are shopping areas with heavy foot traffic to draw in browsing shoppers; around campuses where there is a substantial customer base of faculty and students; and in tourist areas, where people are looking for new experiences.
Paul's has been around for more than 100 years, focusing on tobacco, Cayuga pipes, and pipe repairs. The founder began the business after running a bar and pool hall down the street (if I recall).

Currently, it seems most revenue is from lotto tickets and scratch offs with customers enjoying a smoke while they play. The magic of Paul's, along with some luck.from working hard, has likely kept the doors open.

Reactions: AroEnglish

Es0teric

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2021
Downriver Area of Michigan

Thanks!!
Tobacco Town in Trenton, MI has recently started carrying GL Pease and Cornell & Diehl tins. They also have a good selection of Rossi, Savinelli and Peterson pipes.