PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
So I'm traveling and thought I would drop in on a B&M I used to frequent many years ago. Very old school place; no online shopping from their website. Perused their tobacco selection and I must observe that they are very proud of their wares if the price is any indication. I always want to support B&Ms, particularly given the uncertain future of internet sales. So I ponied up $42 for a tin of St. Bruno and 1.5 oz of a bulk house blend. There was no particularly high taxes on this purchase since I'm in MI; it was all for product. This hobby could indeed get expensive.

I have posted this several other times, but I can see why this keeps coming up. When we peruse the online vendors, we are shopping the distributors. Pipe shops have to pay about what we pay to get those tobaccos in stock. And, according to retail, you want to keystone all of your products, which means you triple them. They have to pay for a brick and mortar including all of the utilities, and most folks don't realize that utilities for commercial property is about triple what residential is. Same water, same electricity, but when it is for a business it is way more expensive.

We are sort of spoiled, being able to order from Laudsi directly at about the same price that pipe shop would have to pay.

All of that said, as much as I want to support my favorite B&Ms, I order most of my tobacco online. However, I still will pick up a tin from the B&M, along with my pipecleaners and such... to help them keep the lights on. I usually make all of my pipe purchases from B&Ms as well. But, tobacco, I order that by pounds online.

But, as a former business owner, I totally understand the prices. I just do what I can to support them, but I have no qualms about ordering online.

If legislation passes, all we will have are the B&Ms. So, support them if you can, if at least just in a limited way.

YMMV

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipe shops charge more for tobaccos than online retailers even after shipping and even when taxes are added online. The shops have overhead and can't do the volume. Often times cigars are their revenue stream so pipe tobacco has to be priced up to earn shelf space. I try to support my local pipe shop, but I don't do a good job. The block of time that it takes to get there and back means that I run in and out with a little small talk, so I'm not a good customer and I don't sit down and shoot the breeze at the smoking table. I just finished off a tin of GLP Haddo's Delight that I bought there for about $17. I'm glad to do what I can to sustain the place. I have maybe six or eight pipes I've bought there over the years. It's worth it to keep them going.

At the Briary, Escudo runs about $26 a tin, which is about twice that of online. But, Skip doesn't even make a profit on the tins. It merely helps keep the lights on. And yes, cigars and pipes are his bread and butter. But, having a nice selection of tins, makes a visit a little more interesting, plus being higher priced, he usually has things in stock that aren't in stock online.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
yes the state and fed tobacco tax is added to the price before you buy it..
the $2.50 is simply your local sales tax which is on any purchase.

Reactions: Elric and jpmcwjr
Jun 23, 2019
He must have calculated it into the retail price because at checkout, It was only about $2.50 in tax.

That's probably the sales tax.

- - -

Here in NY it's about $25-$35 for a 2 Oz tin. The online sales of tobacco is essentially a loophole we've been enjoying for a very long time, but rest assured they're working their darnest to close these loopholes.

Reactions: Elric and BROBS

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
I have posted this several other times, but I can see why this keeps coming up. When we peruse the online vendors, we are shopping the distributors. Pipe shops have to pay about what we pay to get those tobaccos in stock. And, according to retail, you want to keystone all of your products, which means you triple them. They have to pay for a brick and mortar including all of the utilities, and most folks don't realize that utilities for commercial property is about triple what residential is. Same water, same electricity, but when it is for a business it is way more expensive.

We are sort of spoiled, being able to order from Laudsi directly at about the same price that pipe shop would have to pay.

All of that said, as much as I want to support my favorite B&Ms, I order most of my tobacco online. However, I still will pick up a tin from the B&M, along with my pipecleaners and such... to help them keep the lights on. I usually make all of my pipe purchases from B&Ms as well. But, tobacco, I order that by pounds online.

But, as a former business owner, I totally understand the prices. I just do what I can to support them, but I have no qualms about ordering online.

If legislation passes, all we will have are the B&Ms. So, support them if you can, if at least just in a limited way.

YMMV
I use to work at a B&M and you are absolutely correct. Margins on pipe tobacco are very slim. Guys can see the high prices and think shop owners are price gouging but in reality, they are just trying to stay in business.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
In the shops in Ohio I frequent, a typical 50 gram tin is now $16.40 plus the 7-8% County sales tax. I am often able to get tobaccos you just can't find online unless you're really lucky and, I get pleasant conversation. It's a fair trade IMHO.
Mike S.

Reactions: Elric

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015

YMMV
What he said is correct. I haven't worked at a B&M, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once.

For several years, I made tobacco orders from three different on-line retailers instead of buying at the local B&M. And it was cheaper. But, for about the last two years, I've only been buying one or two tins a month to replace what I've smoked and I buy that from my local B&M, Mayan Imports. If they don't have something I want on hand, they order it for me. It contributes to keeping their doors open so we can have our monthly pipe meetings there.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
It would really suck hard if you saw a price tag for $12 on the shelf and then get hit with $36 at the register.
What liquour stores started doing last year was to print in big numbers the actual price of the spirits, then in small numbers at the bottom the price with the tax you'd pay at the till. Given that previously, the price on the label was the final price, this new approach has pissed off some people, because they figure the final amount it's the large number and then there's an argument at the till. I actually find it clever: about time people realise how much money the gov't is pocketing.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
What liquour stores started doing last year was to print in big numbers the actual price of the spirits, then in small numbers at the bottom the price with the tax you'd pay at the till. Given that previously, the price on the label was the final price, this new approach has pissed off some people, because they figure the final amount it's the large number and then there's an argument at the till. I actually find it clever: about time people realise how much money the gov't is pocketing.
or the shop can prove they aren't gouging.

Reactions: Elric and JMcQ

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
That's like gas stations putting stickers on the pump telling how much of the price is taxes for each gallon.

Reactions: Elric

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I thought prices were kind of high at the B&Ms around me, but now I don't feel so bad... most bulks are 4 or 5 bucks an ounce, and tins average around $15. Square tins (HH, St Bruno, Capstan) and Esotericas are kinda jacked up at $18.50. I can usually pick up Balkan Sasieni for $10! The only bad thing is they are all over an hour away.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I thought prices were kind of high at the B&Ms around me, but now I don't feel so bad... most bulks are 4 or 5 bucks an ounce, and tins average around $15. Square tins (HH, St Bruno, Capstan) and Esotericas are kinda jacked up at $18.50. I can usually pick up Balkan Sasieni for $10! The only bad thing is they are all over an hour away.
Those are solid prices! Worth the drive if you’re ever bored I’m sure

Status
Not open for further replies.