PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
How many forum members would drive 30 min out of their way to got to a good B&M. Instead of a couple clicks of the mouse.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Every B&M is 30 minutes out of my way here. I shop more online, but it's mainly for cost/selection reasons.
4oz of bulk at the B&M is more than an 8oz tin of the good H&H stuff I like.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
In Canada, going to a local B&M is a decision I make solely to support a local business. The cost of tobacco in Canada is due mainly to our government's tax greed but somewhat bolstered by the prices set by the B&M as well. I can order online, pay shipping, Canadian taxes AND duty and still get my pipe tobacco for 50% of local prices. Something is very wrong with that.

garyovich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2012
I like to support local business. I make a lot of purchases in the B&M for pipes, accessories, snus, etc. However, because of the local (FL) tax situation, buying tobacco at the B&M is not an option for me. If that ever changes, I would gladly buy tobacco at the B&M as well.

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
I went to a B&M here in The Woodlands, TX. Although they advertise themselves as a cigar shop they did have quite a selection of bulk tobaccos, tins and a few pipes. When I told the man I was looking for a stronger tobacco, something with a bit of a nic hit. He scoffed at me stating that "all tobaccos come from the same plant and have the same nicotine content". Then just stood back staring at me like I was stupid or something. When I asked about his bulk tobaccos, blends and types of ingredients he basically shrugged his shoulders. I knew then I was in the wrong place. I have used the internet ever since. I would like to support the local shop, but if that is how they treat their customers I would rather order from the internet. He made me feel inferior because I smoked a pipe. His attitude was definitely off.

orionpyoung

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2012
Marquette Michigan
I'd love to spend alot more at my local B&M but they only have a few goopy bulk tobaccos and pipe cleaners. My way of supporting them is buying my cigars from them as they have a much better cigar selection.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
I would love to make the drive. Unfortunately I live in NYC. So I rely on the internet. I am always on the look out when we go visiting relatives or on other longer trips.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
30 min is no big deal for me. I have one small B&M down south that I have made the trip down to visit a time or two. I usually try to hit a couple when I'm in the Dallas area as well.
Thankfully the two that I do majority of my local business with are fairly close. My primary one is about 3 min from the house. Typical B&M pricing but I try to make it a point to support them by stopping in and picking a tin or two and a handful of cigars here and there.

mattnelson23

Might Stick Around
Sep 1, 2012
The B&M in my town is similar to others mentioned already, in that they have a great cigar selection, but the staff is largely unhelpful when it comes to pipe stuff. They are near my home, and actually have a decent selection of pipes and tobacco, but I wonder if anyone there smokes them themselves. Price-wise, they aren't too far off of many sites online, and may even be cheaper than some. Their 1-Q is good and is only about a dime more than the sites I've visited. Of course, price varies by blends. The tinned stuff is way more than online, though. I go there to support a local business and get certain inexpensive blends, but not expecting to find anyone especially passionate about the hobby to discuss things with. That's why I have you guys!

shawn

Jan 1, 2012
I would drive. I like to poke around hold the pipes in my hand and see what speaks to me.

Aug 1, 2012
I would go to the B&M over internet unless the owner and staff were consistently pricks with no good merchandise or knowledge. I can put up with jerks for quality product. Nice people with a limited selection is ok too.

mikey

Lurker
Aug 18, 2012
delattim,

I agree! The B&M I frequent is Lone Star Pipe and Tobacco on Louetta. You might have better luck there. A father and son business for many years. Good luck!

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
I buy most of my stuff over the 'net. While I like my 'Local', I don't care much for the geezers that hang out there. I was in there the other night and it was All Cigars - couldn't stay long.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I stop by my B&M for a smoke with the regulars. Usually pick up a tin here and there but stock is low there. Always get my pipe cleanes and 1Q there as well as some estates.

lyle

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Des Moines, IA, USA
Another consideration is that I want my B&M to be there when I need it for "emergencies" (run out of pipe cleaners, lighter fluid, etc.). Whenever I go in there for any reason, I always buy at least a tin of something, even though I can get better prices online.

mthanded

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
My closest B&M is 90 miles away and we only get to town about once a month. They don't have a great selection but I do support them by buying something every time. For selection though, you can't beat the online folks, especially the ones on this site.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I'm lucky to have a very good B&M about 20 minutes from my house. Huge selection of tins with a good smattering of older tins and pretty regular stock of hard to get stuff. One tin + tax is the same cost as ordering online. Always fun to drool over the $500 pipes I can't afford !

badbriar

Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Like the other FL member above, I buy from the local B & M supplies and cigars. Pipe tobacco, I buy online due to the obscenely high tax in this state on pipe tobaccos. There is a movement to try to do the same on cigars, but the cigar industry in FL is largest in the US and the tax dogrockets probably won't have any success here - for the immediate future. Still, probably worth putting a few tins away for later!

bb

crk69

Jun 30, 2012
My local B&M is a twenty minute drive from my house. I try to buy there as much as possible, and for the things that I can't get there, I order online...

Status
Not open for further replies.