PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ted Vig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2019
Saint Paul, MN
Hi all, I'm in Sacramento visiting family and was hoping to find a pipe shop or two. I went to a great shop in years past that is now gone. Are there any recommendations for a good one currently? Thanks!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
The only one left that is worth visiting is Tobacco Road. But be prepared for California retail prices. Also, you've got a 50/50 chance of being insulted by the owner if you don't spend $500 before you leave. They have a nice smoking lounge though and if they don't feel like giving you a hard time, it's actually a nice place to spend a few hours.

Reactions: Ted Vig and jpmcwjr

Ted Vig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2019
Saint Paul, MN
The only one left that is worth visiting is Tobacco Road. But be prepared for California retail prices. Also, you've got a 50/50 chance of being insulted by the owner if you don't spend $500 before you leave. They have a nice smoking lounge though and if they don't feel like giving you a hard time, it's actually a nice place to spend a few hours.
I'll take a look. I saw another named Tower cigars? They showed jars of tobacco on their site. Any read on them?

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I'll take a look. I saw another named Tower cigars? They showed jars of tobacco on their site. Any read on them?
Tower is a tiny shop that is cigar-oriented and popular amongst cigar smokers. They should have a limited supply of pipe tobaccos and maybe a few estate pipes but it's not a shop I'd go out of my way to visit as a pipe smoker.

Reactions: Ted Vig

Ted Vig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2019
Saint Paul, MN
I ended up going to Tobacco Road. They had a fine assortment of pipes and tobacco. I picked up a Peterson system standard 314 and a Bjarne Nielsen pipe. The owner showed me that he had quite a few vintage Friedman & Pease tins under the counter as well as several NASPC tins. I only picked up one tin of Temple Bar, as I've got plenty of tobacco. Overall, I spent more than I thought, but it was a good experience. IMG_20220616_174510__01.jpg

Reactions: jpmcwjr and litup