PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

damacene

Lurker
Jul 31, 2022
I walked in to a local cigar shop to see if they had any pipe tobacco...needless to say I was pleasantly surprised. The guy working there said they like to have pipe tobacco in stock but it doesn't sell. The golden sliced is dated 2013, Racing Green and Mellow Mixture 2014, Jacknife 2018, and I don't know how to date the Gawith but I popped the tin and see plenty of sugar crystals. I couldnt wait so I smoked some on the way home and its one of the best Va/Pers I've ever had. Today was a good day my friends!
20220916_182904.jpg

Last edited:

damacene

Lurker
Jul 31, 2022
Damn, always wanted to try Racing Green...seems like everyone and their mother is scoring it lately! Must be just my bad luck...or it could be that there's only one B&M within a hundred miles of me, it could be that.

Good score, lots of age on those tins. 👍
I've been curious about it too, not sure if I want to open her up. I'd imagine Orlik aromatics preserve well in the tin but idk.

Reactions: Servant King

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I've been curious about it too, not sure if I want to open her up. I'd imagine Orlik aromatics preserve well in the tin but idk.
I age Mac Baren Vanilla Cream, currently smoking a pound from 2013 and it's great! The topping has faded (which I don't mind) but is still nice, and the Virginias are smoother. It depends on the flavoring they use: some may not age well but give it a try!

damacene

Lurker
Jul 31, 2022
I age Mac Baren Vanilla Cream, currently smoking a pound from 2013 and it's great! The topping has faded (which I don't mind) but is still nice, and the Virginias are smoother. It depends on the flavoring they use: some may not age well but give it a try!
I'm not that big into heavily topped aros so I'd be fine if the topping mellowed. I might try it over the weekend and report back.

bearwolf56

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2013
Burlington, North Carolina
I live in the middle of North Carolina, and I don't know of any B&M's around here. JR's used to be a good place for pipe smokers but it not only doesn't sell pipes and accessories anymore, but it has also shrunk its pipe tobacco selection down to barley anything. Anyone know of a good B&M near Burlington, NC?

Reactions: damacene

Razorback

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I live in the middle of North Carolina, and I don't know of any B&M's around here. JR's used to be a good place for pipe smokers but it not only doesn't sell pipes and accessories anymore, but it has also shrunk its pipe tobacco selection down to barley anything. Anyone know of a good B&M near Burlington, NC?
McCrainie’s in Charlotte is a bit of a haul for you (1 hr., 45 minutes) but it’s an awesome shop full of pipes and tobacco.

damacene

Lurker
Jul 31, 2022
Update: The Racing Green is very good. Citrusy, slightly floral, and sweet with the virginas taking the primary role. The topping is there but seems pretty mellow in comparison to normal Danish aromatics. It's a good blend but I can see why STG may have taken it out of production. The Golden Sliced with 9 years of age on it however, is superb. Extremely rich and cool burning for a high virgina but still has a bit of the citrus mixed with dark fruit. I highly recommend aging golden sliced if you have any.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
This is why I love a long road trips hit up the most obscure shops and bam! Great finds that aged Cabbies and the racing green , dang 😍😍😍

Reactions: damacene

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipes by George in Raleigh, N.C., between the NCSU campus and the downtown on Hillsborough Street, with a hand-built humidor, plank floors and a grandfathered smoking table with a pencil written disclaimer on the front door saying you may encounter tobacco smoke. George is a real pipe man.