PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I'm just curious if anyone has any type of information on this pipe & maker. I'm also thinking about having a new stem cut for it so thoughts & opinions on type of stem, short - medium - long, and what color would look "right" for it.
bf-1a-600x486.jpg

bf-2-600x339.jpg

bf-3-600x339.jpg

bf-4-600x339.jpg

bf-5-600x339.jpg

bf-6-600x339.jpg

vabriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2012
Sorry, don't know anything about that maker but I'm thinking a longer church warden black stem that follows the curve might look nice.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Only information I can find on a "BF" was from Paris and was a Meerschaum carver from the late 1890's. I wonder if Meer carvers back then also carved on Briar?
The tobacco chamber does not look like it has had a lot of use. Although where the stem was, there was a broken off porcelain type screw in tenon. (guessing it was porcelain) Would that be from using an amber stem?
And it looks like someone used the pipe without the mouthpiece because there is a little discoloration and teeth marks.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'd try just polishing it lightly with some White diamond on a loose wheel, to get into the details of the carvings. Norwood could make you a stem for around $30.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Thanks Al, I'll give the White Diamond a shot this weekend. I've never dealt with this kind of detail...would following with one of these be good without clogging up the hair detail? Halycon II - Paragon Wax - Denicare All I have right now is block carnauba wax.
I planned on using Norwood for sure to cut a stem. I just can't make up my mind what would look good. I'm stuck between an amber looking stem or a black mini-warden stem.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Okay, maybe it's my eyes, but the nomenclature looks a lot more like "DJ Paris" to me than "BF."
Bob

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
The picture is a little blurry from trying to take a close up with my phone. The jeweler's loop is 100% positive that it shows a clear B.F

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the pipe needs some brightening up. It's an interesting piece, but it needs either a bright tortoise

shell or maybe even a colored stem, perhaps a faux bone or even orange. I would definitely go with

a churchwarden stem, to pick up the uniqueness of the carving. The pipe has a little drama to it, but needs

livening up.

Status
Not open for further replies.