AWOL, Back Now. Smoking Mac Baren til the Cows Come Home....

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Well it seems this is the last corner of the internet where sanity maintains some semblance of grip, so I'm back!

And boy do I have stories to tell! Well, not really but whatever. We're all just sitting here smoking and shooting the breeze anyway. So here goes.

First off, I have to lament the sad state of Canadian tobacconists. Most don't seem to know what they're talking about and when they do - they're snobs!

Case in point. The other day I went in to buy a pipe from a well known shop in my city and was told that "basket pipes are just for show". The clerk then proceeded to show me a bunch of Lorenzetti pipes that had been passed over by the greater pipe smoking community of my fair city for what appeared to be several years, judging by the dust and large markup. I settled for a tin of Sammy Gaws Kendall Twist. "Have you ever tried a non-aromatic before son?" was the response. Talk about cheek! Anyway, won't be buying there again. Found another "tobacconist" which was really a cigar shop with a pitiful rack for us forlorn pipers. But they had a nice bent Dublin from Medico that I picked up, and the owner was very nice, if ill-informed. Apparently they have a pipe sale at the end of every year because, get this, a friendly pipe smoker told them that if briar sat in a display case too long - it could EXPLODE WHEN SMOKED!!!! I imagine that fellow shows up right around sale time, eh? My goodness! Another thing I discovered is that all those decent Amphora blends like Virginia, Burley and Kentucky Blend (all of which are a broken flake cut) are impossible to find here! We got a thing for changing names of things too, so heads up fellas, and gal ( I know we have at least one), if you're buying Sail in Canada, what you're actually getting is Captain Black. Which, unless you're buying it as Lane 1Q, is hot steamy garbage. Or so I'm told. That's a joke. Lane 1Q is Captain Black Royal. Which in Canada is called Sail Deluxe. You were warned! My final tobacconist of shame is the one that sold me a 50g tin of Old Dark Fired for - wait for it... $76.57! Can you believe it?!

It's enough to drive a man to smokingpipes.com for some relief! If only my southron cousins would stop burning things, maybe I could trust USPS to deliver my goods but I'm afraid my sweet sweet tobacco would just end up as incense for the next riot! Oi vey! Really we gotta get a FedEx or UPS option! But alas...

Now for the good news!

I got me a fancy new Dublin, albeit lacking a proper Dublin chamber. Funny thing, the snobby tobacconist wasn't even sure if he had any Dublin chamber pipes. Must be a shortage up here. Oh well. I refinished my lacklustre Brigham, pics to come. I got me some of that Peterson Signature Flake, which is discontinued apparently. I got me some Best Brown Flake and some real pricey ODF. The majority of it is all jarred up, though I did just finish a bowl of the Pete's. Damn fine stuff. Real grassy, like smoking a hayride in the winter. The Best Brown is good, damn good. Just a touch sweeter I think. The ODF is, well it's spicy and sweet and a good nic hit. Does it taste like seventy bucks? I'm not sure but I'll be sure to test every last crumb and let y'all know!

Final thoughts? Well dang. My Carlo Duca Lumberman is still the King of Flake. One MB sized flake folds up and stuffs perfectly into the proper Dublin style chamber, with just enough left over to give it a twist and a push to get that broken flake topping that helps the bowl get started. I am growing seriously fond of this pipe and this chamber! Whoever invented the Dublin chamber deserves a firm handshake and a stern look of approval. He might even deserve a flake or ten.

Also, avoid David's Blend tobacco at most costs. They have a Burley blend that's advertising as broken flake, but it's cross cut ribbon at best.

That's it, that's all. Happy piping!

Last edited by a moderator:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome back. I like the exploding pipe story, though I don't think I'll try that on my savvy independent pipe shop owner. I await further chapters in the Canadian tobacco trade. Yes, this site is a vortex of tact and conversation comparatively. Much of the rest of the web is mostly psychiatric, if you want to study the breadth of human hate and irrational thought.

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
Welcome back. I like the exploding pipe story, though I don't think I'll try that on my savvy independent pipe shop owner. I await further chapters in the Canadian tobacco trade. Yes, this site is a vortex of tact and conversation comparatively. Much of the rest of the web is mostly psychiatric, if you want to study the breadth of human hate and irrational thought.
And look who forgot to capitalize their post titles! Dang. Maybe I do belong in the vortex? Now to find that edit button...

Cheers mso! Glad to be back, though truth be told I never really left. Just went into lurk mode. Serious puffers always need information about things. For example just yesterday I was standing in Home Depot trying to build a tobacco press and I came here to see if brass was a good option for the case. I didn't find any answers, but hey. I came, I lurked, I decided to rejoin. Should be a Latin phrase...

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
Welcome back. I like the exploding pipe story, though I don't think I'll try that on my savvy independent pipe shop owner. I await further chapters in the Canadian tobacco trade. Yes, this site is a vortex of tact and conversation comparatively. Much of the rest of the web is mostly psychiatric, psychotic, (and should only be read) if you want to study the breadth of human hate and irrational thought.
fixed it for you @mso489 Lol
Truly though, these folks here are absolutely paragons of virtue when it comes to disagreement snarkiness. I'm grateful every day to read these posts...and don't miss the other social media one bit.

Reactions: JOHN72

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
Welcome back. It seems you Canadians really do suffer for your pipes.
Well the pipes are mostly not a problem, it's finding something decent to stuff in them for a sane and reasonable price that's the issue! But I think smokingpipes.com is going to come around for me, so at least there is that. Just a shame it's nearly impossible to support local tobacconists. We aren't even allowed to ship tobacco across provinces so even if there is a decent retailer, chances are they can't ship to you!

• Wow
Reactions: OzPiper and kcghost

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
$76.57 for 50 grams of tobacco? That's outrageous.

Though you better hope that comrade Poodeau doesn't hear about what the filth have done here in Oz.
A 50g tin is now $125.

• Sad
Reactions: OzPiper