PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's irrelevant, but I think tobacco plants are handsome and make nice ornamentals as well as providing leaf, all the more because you don't harvest them all at once, but pluck the leaves a little at a time. Isn't that right? Keep us posted.

Reactions: sittingbear

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
Chilllucky Crop 2019 thread

I got about 10 lbs of tobacco. About half of which I've since lost to mold because I didn't dry it down enough for storage. Even still, it's more than I smoke in a year.

If you want to be good at growing tobacco, I would suggest you order some commercially grown leaves from whole leaf tobacco of the variety you've grown towards the end of your season, so you have something to compare thickness, size, and texture to. If you want to be great at growing tobacco, take the air and/or flue cured grading class through the USDA.

Sounds nice, even in spite of the loss. How is it smoking-wise? Mild/robust? Flavorful/plain? High or nicotine?

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Aside from a couple of two-puff tests in a clay (which were pretty harsh) I haven't smoked much of it.

Commercial tobacco is stored in big bales for 1-3 years where it ferments/mellows/ages before it's bought by your favorite blending house. On a home-grower's scale that effect is forced by "kilning". Which is just storing the leaves in a small temperature and humidity controlled vessel. I've seen anything from a styrofoam cooler with a light bulb in it to a computer controlled former fridge.

I haven't found the time to make even a simple kiln, so my stuff is just sitting in totes. It's too small of a mass to ferment on its own, so it's not gonna age much without intervention.