PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Recent Posts

chilllucky

Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I used that same book last year for my fist ever gardening project - 24 tobacco plants (4 varieties).

It's really good on basic organic gardening info and tobacco - specific growing info like pests and fertilizer. Not so much on curing after the harvest.

Good luck!

Reactions: sittingbear

Epip Oc'Cabot

Oct 11, 2019
I used that same book last year for my fist ever gardening project - 24 tobacco plants (4 varieties).

It's really good on basic organic gardening info and tobacco - specific growing info like pests and fertilizer. Not so much on curing after the harvest.

Good luck!
So.... how did your leaf turn out? It would be interesting to hear how you liked what you grew. 24 plants sounds like you may have gotten a huge amount for your efforts!

Reactions: sittingbear

pipestud

Preferred Member
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Yes sir, you married really well, sitting bear!

My now wife gifted me a pipe and some tobacco for Christmas while we were dating. I knew as soon as I opened the package that I'd marry that gal. The tobacco was terrible and the pipe smoked hotter than hell, but the fact that she gifted those two items to me was all I needed to pop the question.

chilllucky

Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
So.... how did your leaf turn out? It would be interesting to hear how you liked what you grew. 24 plants sounds like you may have gotten a huge amount for your efforts!
Chilllucky Crop 2019 thread

I got about 10 lbs of tobacco. About half of which I've since lost to mold because I didn't dry it down enough for storage. Even still, it's more than I smoke in a year.

If you want to be good at growing tobacco, I would suggest you order some commercially grown leaves from whole leaf tobacco of the variety you've grown towards the end of your season, so you have something to compare thickness, size, and texture to. If you want to be great at growing tobacco, take the air and/or flue cured grading class through the USDA.