PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Oscar's, Tony, Emmy, Grammy, Golden Globes, Billboard, Country Music, Screen Actors Guild (SAG), Black Entertainment Television (BET), KId's Choice, People's Choice, Critic's Choice, Espys...did I leave anyone out?
Are there too many award shows and do you watch any of them? I don't.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Most of them are more about what people wear or in some cases don't wear anyway, so they hardly matter. I watched Bohemian Rhapsody, quite the Oscar movie, and it was really bad. No gimmicks can save a badly told story. Awards are more about politics than they are about telling stories.

Jan 8, 2013
Nope. I watched them years ago, when it was more about acknowledging one's talent and less about kissing each other's hind ends and pushing their political BS on the viewers.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I hate watching all award shows. I dont watch any of them, untill my wife forces me to for certain reasons. Otherwise, I could care less.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Most award shows just seem ... well, too self-serving and peer driven for my interest. So too many.
I really do not care what other actors/actresses/producers/grips/directors/gaffers/etc. think of each other. But, recognition by one's peers is damned important. So the awards should continue with all the pomp and stuff but, without the TV cameras.
They do draw an audience though, sell lots of ad time so, our opinions are not worth diddly.
Jesse Silver's EMMY won't be on the televised show. They'll probably FedEx it to his house. So, we will learn of it here first, I suspect.

Jan 8, 2013
Jesse Silver's EMMY won't be on the televised show. They'll probably FedEx it to his house. So, we will learn of it here first, I suspect.
I'd watch the Emmys for Jesse. But only if he accepted his Emmy with pipe in mouth. That would be awesome.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'd watch the Emmys for Jesse. But only if he accepted his Emmy with pipe in mouth. That would be awesome.
Don't hold your breath. My work has won several clios, a couple of EMMY's and an Oscar, but with other people's names taking credit for it. Such is the glamour of Hollywood. Seriously, if I ever get nominated for an EMMY you will know that the sun is about to go supernova and evaporate the planet. But I would have a pipe in my kisser all the same.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I watched Bohemian Rhapsody, quite the Oscar movie, and it was really bad. No gimmicks can save a badly told story. Awards are more about politics than they are about telling stories.
I haven't seen that yet, but I'm disappointed to hear the story was flubbed.
And you have touched on the essence of the whole problem with Hollywood these days...for the most part, they've lost the art of story telling. Way too much of what they churn out is contrived and agenda-driven.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
There are way too many awards and self-congratulations. To steal a quote from Milan Kundera: They are "brought to tears of gratification at their own reflection in the mirror."
I don't watch anymore.
These people are only entertainers. A few are artists. Some are talented, but in the end, few if any are worth our admiration or attention.
I would tune in if Sable was winning one!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Award shows -- long speeches inappropriate to the viewing audience, over-produced musical numbers, smarmy video segments, skewed voting on awards -- they were, in their hay day, aversion therapy, dropping you on the floor at one in the morning having learned nothing and marinated in bad experiences. The Oscars have worked hard to keep it short and make it palatable, but are only a little successful. On the other hand, there are so many media outlets now including the internet, that there is probably a demographic niche for nearly everything, with small viewer groups. I think the flaunting of clothing and fawning attention is overtly unappealing, a real insult to the poor non-celebrity folks who fall down in the couch to watch. The public is being diminished and overlooked with lavish aplomb. It's all a misunderstanding of accomplishment. No wonder so many celebs die young, have miserable personal lives, act out in public, live with substance abuse and abuse of others. The whole events should be taped and then edited to about twenty minutes, with full lists of awardees offered online -- I'd run the lists before the event, but that would never happen. But as long as millions will tune in or click on, masochistically, these will be offered up with a big ladle like bad soup.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Absolutely and absolutely not. :puffy:
I'd rather tune in to one of the old Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts. Now that is entertainment!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been a total downer on this, and I really don't enjoy award shows. But I admit, some people love their one or two favorite award shows every year, and some will watch any award show at all, for the human interest, personalities, and competitive psychology. I like all of those, just not in award shows. So if you like 'em, I say enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.