PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Wow, those are all great pipes. Now yesterday I came across an inexpensive Rossi. How does Rossi compare to Savinelli?

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I don't think authors are oddly shaped at all, and certainly seem more "normal" compared to all the freehands and various unique artisan-made pipes out there.

Wow, those are all great pipes. Now yesterday I came across an inexpensive Rossi. How does Rossi compare to Savinelli?

My understanding is that Rossi pipes are basically budget Savinellis, and that Savinelli owns Rossi. I've not tried a Rossi, but based on how happy I am with most of my Savs I'd happily try a Rossi.

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
I have a Savinelli unfinished, though not in the author shape it is a great smoker. You can pick up an unfinished Savinelli 320 for around $60 U.S..

Paul lec

Lifer
May 28, 2020
I just joined the forum today. Noticed this thread and glad to know a little more. I recently purchased a Sav 320 Oceano. It’s definitely different,but my boat is blue,I fish the Gulf a lot so why not!

Attachments

• 1202752D-65A2-4F12-9EBA-1B731C5F832F.jpeg
    1202752D-65A2-4F12-9EBA-1B731C5F832F.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 9
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
There's something about the Author shape that I find appealing, but just can't put my finger on it.

2013-01-10-butt.jpg

View attachment 7068
Damn. Now I need one. Way to go.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Rossi pipes, which are now a subset of Savinelli, have the Vittoria series that includes a 320 shape, which I think in Rossi is numbered 8320, for around $43. Both the Sav and Rossi versions are rather heavy for easy clenching, so I'd look at versions from other brands. But 320 has great popularity, so you might like it even if it isn't a good clencher for you. My favorite author shape is a Luciano that is a little more trim and lighter weight than the 320.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have never been a fan of the Author. I find it too short, too stubby, too small a tobacco chamber. I see why people like them as the walls are thick and that helps new smokers not heat up like a thinner walled pipe might do.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just joined the forum today. Noticed this thread and glad to know a little more. I recently purchased a Sav 320 Oceano. It’s definitely different,but my boat is blue,I fish the Gulf a lot so why not!
We're trying to book a vacation on the Gulf (FL) but can't seem to find any place that will rent to someone from Maryland (we're in Western MD, 5 miles from WV, but get lumped in with the high incident counties).

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You are right, I can't recall any GBD Author Shape. Two are listed on the pipe shape chart, but the 755 is a Lovat by my experience and the 753 is more would I would call a "scoop" and not a classic Author.

Reactions: renfield

fishfly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2014
Dubuque, Iowa
You are right, I can't recall any GBD Author Shape. Two are listed on the pipe shape chart, but the 755 is a Lovat by my experience and the 753 is more would I would call a "scoop" and not a classic Author.

All three of my Wimbledons bear a 810 shape number.

Buckler

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 25, 2020
NSW, AUSTRALIA
This is really good to know. The Sav 320 is a great looking shape. Muttonchop piper off YouTube who does a lot of good educational stuff wanted to buy a bunch of them as they became his favourites but soon enough moved away from them due to sore teeth.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Unfounded suppositions on the origin of the name: It resembles an inkwell, it’s sturdy construction can be used to beat literary agents when the deadline is mentioned once too often, it’s shortness keeps it from blocking your view of the page.

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
I started off in the hobby gleefully ignorant and thought the 320 was the penultimate pipe....
I was wrong....still have them but the clenching is the issue, the 673 is to me is like a bent author with a little difference in the bowl...it sees a lot more action....but still not something ai want to clench a lot.

Before even buying a pipe as I was trying to decide out of all the styles. I thought I needed a bent or an author.
I thought straight pipes were for old fuddy duddy curmudgeons who yelled "GET OFF MY LAWN!" all the time.
I was wrong...I now smoke mostly some form of a straight pipe.

Ignorance is bliss....

Buckler

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 25, 2020
NSW, AUSTRALIA
I started off in the hobby gleefully ignorant and thought the 320 was the penultimate pipe....
I was wrong....still have them but the clenching is the issue, the 673 is to me is like a bent author with a little difference in the bowl...it sees a lot more action....but still not something ai want to clench a lot.

Before even buying a pipe as I was trying to decide out of all the styles. I thought I needed a bent or an author.
I thought straight pipes were for old fuddy duddy curmudgeons who yelled "GET OFF MY LAWN!" all the time.
I was wrong...I now smoke mostly some form of a straight pipe.

Ignorance is bliss....
Old school is the new cool...?
?‍?

Reactions: BlueMaxx

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
This is really good to know. The Sav 320 is a great looking shape. Muttonchop piper off YouTube who does a lot of good educational stuff wanted to buy a bunch of them as they became his favourites but soon enough moved away from them due to sore teeth.
320 is where it's at for me when it comes to authors. I've never liked clenching, so that's not an issue for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.