PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 24, 2020
San Diego
Hello,
I just bought this pipe and I'm having a bunch of trouble smoking it. I read elsewhere that these are often garbage pipes sold purely as tourist trinkets, but judging by all the buildup I cleaned out, someone probably used it regularly.

Is there a trick to these? Should I pack tighter or looser? The smoke is super cool, while the bowl is really hot and I don't think I can keep the tobacco lit. I don't think this will be on my regular rotation, but I would like to be able to break it out during Oktoberfest season without embarrassing myself. 20201228_145736.jpg

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I have a similar pipe, although it's never been smoked. Those porcelain bowls hold a heck of lot of tobacco. Where the bowl plugs into the stem, there is usually some cork wrapped around to hold it place and prevent air leakage.

Most of the ones I've seen that were manufactured in the last 60-70 years appear more to be a tourist trinket. While they could be smoked, I'm not sure if that was ever the intention.

Grovius

Might Stick Around
Sep 27, 2020
Tui, Galicia
I’ll have to check out that video, although I doubt I would ever smoke the one I have.

I prefer to smoke a modern day rendition of the German Wine/Tyrolian pipe... ?
Side question: do these pipes take much more time/effort/pipe cleaners to clean? Churchwarden owners, please chime in as well.

Reactions: danimalia

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Side question: do these pipes take much more time/effort/pipe cleaners to clean? Churchwarden owners, please chime in as well.
not really. I had one that was a trinket and it smoked amazingly (unlike the other one I got which was crap). Just need a longer pipe cleaner and to take it apart. The wet traps on them really work well at helping the smoke stay cool. And yeah pack it lighter. Oh the one I had could with a light pack take several hours to smoke and take half a tin of tobacco so 25 grams.

Dec 24, 2020
San Diego
This one was pretty easy to clean. It breaks down into about 5 or 6 smaller pieces that are pretty manageable. This one took a bit of work at first, since all the joints were stuck, but future cleanings should be much quicker and easier. I don't know about churchwardens, since I don't have one yet. Thinking my stimulus check is going to fix that.