PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
So the summer trip is going to be Austin. (Yes, I know. But when you live in Miami, heat's not really a thing anymore, and when your lovely bride is a teacher, summer travel is a must.)
We'll spend a few days there, take a day trip to Fredricksburg (antiques and crafts for my lovely bride, Museum of the War in the Pacific for me and No. 2 son, schnitzel for everyone), then we head up to a friend's big ranch near Lampasas. (Well, big to me. Not sure 1500 acres rates in Texas.) Doing lots of ranch stuff: four wheeling through the hills, and No. 2 son's first hog hunt.
I have gotten no shortage of recommendations for barbecue (evidently there IS no bad barbecue in Austin) and other nifty Austin spots. Several suggestions for bars (always happy to get more of those), but what says the PM brain trust about pipe stuff in Austin, F-burg and thereabouts?

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Pipeworld on Anderson, Heroes and Legacies, Habana House North are your options. The only pipe people that really know something are at PipeWorld on Anderson Lane.
We hold our pipe club meetings the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month usually.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
@pylorns, thanks very much. I will check them out. I try always to visit and make a purchase at any real pipe shop wherever I go, just to help keep the places open.
We'll be in Lampasas by that Thursday, or else i might have crashed your club meeting!

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Not pipe related but make it to Salt Lick if you can... Great BBQ. And do not miss the daily bat tornado at Congress Ave Bridge. It is amazing. Also, Torchy's Tacos, and, the Beerworks.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
For sure bats and barbecue. Our place is actually on South Congress, about two or three blocks form Torchy's -- a place MANY people have recommended.
Thank you.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
Second on Pipeworld!
However, sad to say, there is a lot of bad BBQ in and around Austin. Maybe not bad, but definitely over rated. If you can get to Mueller's in Taylor you wont be disappointed.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
John Mueller Meat Company got shut down due to back taxes, but his sister, Leann, opened La Barbeque on Cesar Chavez. Her partner was the pit master at Franklin's so you can still get some killer BBQ without having to go to Taylor or wait in line for 4-5 hours at Franklins. Central Texas BBQ can be other worldly-- the Mueller's are in that category.

Status
Not open for further replies.