PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
The last couple of months haven't been easy. Between the fire hazards and convincing my elderly parents that it was time to go into assisted living (they're in their early 90s for Pete's sake!) Life has been complicated. So, when it was time to go on our family camping trip to the ocean, I was more than ready.
I was just settling in a comfy chair, pipe in hand when my wife informed me that my 80 year old aunt was coming and she's be upset to see my pipe. (I don't know why, since it was her father, my grandfather, that inspired me to take up the pipe in the first place.). Slow to give up my pleasure, my cousin Tom told me I was headed for trouble, and to ditch my pipe. Then Rick said, Oh boy, you're in for it. Finally Linda practically yelled, "Aunt Lynnie is coming, hide the pipe!".
By then, I'd forgotten that I'm 64 years old and frantically started to put my stuff away.
Yes, Aunt Lynnie arrived, no my pipe was not in sight, and all of us had reverted to 8, 9, 10, and 11 year olds. All Aunt Lynnie said was, "you all look guilty.". Lord, I love my family!

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I was very fortunate when growing up. Three brothers married three sisters, between them there were 11 double first cousins that lived next door to each other. There were four other aunts and two sets of grandparents also in the same small town. We didn't get away with much, but someone always had your back.
For some reason I'm the only one that smokes a pipe, but we all fought to open a new tin of Grampa's George Washington tobacco.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
It's amazing how quickly re can revert to childhood. That's the power of early conditioning!

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
You're a better man than I am, plateauguy.
Ditto! But I can relate to conditioned responses :lol:

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
First time my Grandma saw me smoking my pipe all I got was a "Your Grandfather smoked a pipe too....... Didn't like it with him either." The old bird is 105 next month and wouldn't change her for the world. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.