Audiophiles, Lighter Collectors, And Pipe Smokers!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I am a huge analog music fan and have had many dreams of the allusive Thoren's turntables. For those of you who don't know the company's history they are a Swedish company who made, and still make, some of the best turntables around. They aren't just finely tuned machines but are a work of art.

teaser-td295mk4.jpg

In the early 20th century the company needed to find a way to supplement income so they decided to make lighters. Production of these lighters were from 1913 to 1964 with a total production of around five million.

KGrHqFjME8EydRjPtBPSKhw3g60_57.jpg

They have interested me for a while because of their interesting design and connection to vinyl. They are sought after by lighter collectors because of their quality and unique mechanism and can reach prices of over one hundred dollars.
Thoren's most successful lighter was the semi-automatic single claw model

ThorensPhonowtmk.jpg

They also made a pipe version. It looks like it would be handy to get in the bowl.

IMGP1428wtmk.jpg

The other versions of the single claw model included a watch shaped model.

ThorensRoundwtmk.jpg

And table lighters

IMGP6936.jpg

There were other models including the Oriflame, Vedette, Blizzard, and the Masterpiece which is pictured below.

Thorenswtmk.jpg

I hope this short article might help some of you audiophiles out there connect to pipe smoking or just give you guys something else to hunt for. I hope you enjoyed it.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
That's pretty cool. I'm very familiar with Thoren's turntables, but I never knew they made lighters at one time. I guess I learn something new every day.

deithial

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2012
Great info, I love old lighters and those are definitely unique. I've always had a thing for tablelighters but have been on the huint for a "pipe" version. Thanx for sharing man, good stuff.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I have the Bang and Olufsen Beogram RX2... and I am so worried about the stylus wearing out... replacements are impossible... like $320 each if you can find one...

I also rock a vintage 1971 Harmon Kardon Amp... I love Vinyl.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
nice post Photoman...

I was always fascinated with Thorens turntables. I am putting together a retro system with an old Harmon Kardon tube amp and would love to find a nice turntable to finish it off.

I got curious about their lighters and did some reading online and of course took a look on Ebay to see how very expensive the lighters are... the answer is not cheap.

I did find an Oriflame that was pretty tarnished up, but the seller said it was functioning. Cheap enough to make me suspicious but also cheap enough for me to pull the trigger.

I got it this week and did some polishing and absolutely LOVE this lighter. It is probably from the 40's or 50's and still works like a fine instrument.

I posted the Ebay pic and a couple after pics. Thanks to your post and my curiosity I got a great retro lighter. I will eventually get a single claw...
kgrhqrqgfbzinpjj9bqo7mr.jpg

20121128172634.jpg

mailgooglecomwq.jpg

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Very cool! I will have to keep my eye out as well for a single claw. Just seems like a very cool piece of history to own.

Status
Not open for further replies.