PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I need to get you on a poker table. I love people that bet with their heart. :)
No gambling involved with what I do. I throw what I'm willing to pay in the last seconds. Yay if on the low, no surprise if it reaches my max.?

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
No gambling involved with what I do. I throw what I'm willing to pay in the last seconds. Yay if on the low, no surprise if it reaches my max.?
same here..

come up with that max amount.. let her ping in the last 3 seconds.. if I lose, it's more than I wanted to pay anyways!

Major shopaholic myself. Nothing like the rush of a purchase.❤
bigtime.. one of my biggest problems rotf

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Here's an example of my situation. I collect Ben Wade pipes, among others, and I've always wanted one of those fabulous but hard to find French goose-neck bents. They rarely come up for auction. The shank is also cracked, and the seller mistakenly posted it as a Danish pipe.

Out the door the price climbed to $140. Literally after just a few days.

Now, what's "sniping" on an item like that going to look like? I'm still following it out of morbid curiosity but I can't conceivably bid on a pipe that, to my mind, is actually probably worth no more than $140.

Here be the link.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Here's an example of my situation. I collect Ben Wade pipes, among others, and I've always wanted one of those fabulous but hard to find French goose-neck bents. They rarely come up for auction. The shank is also cracked, and the seller mistakenly posted it as a Danish pipe.

Out the door the price climbed to $140. Literally after just a few days.

Now, what's "sniping" on an item like that going to look like? I'm still following it out of morbid curiosity but I can't conceivably bid on a pipe that, to my mind, is actually probably worth no more than $140.

Here be the link.
I see auctions like that all the time... high bids with no sense.
then you might see an unsmoked one go under the radar for peanuts.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Nice pipe. Back when I used to buy pipes on eBay-must be around 8 years ago-never bothered to snipe. Just posted my max in the last 5 minutes. As frustrating as losing a bid might be, a max is a max, so in the end no bigee.

Reactions: BROBS

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
One of my favorites of the hundreds I've seen was a Sasieni Viscount Lascelles, a solid $600 pipe at the time, that went from a little over $300 to $2800
There was a rather nice patent era one that went for $188.00 earlyer this week on eBay.
Did you see it?
Wow, there was a time this would be unthinkable. All the dollars must be going to vintage tobaccos.
I was tempted enough to place a bid but maxed my bid at less than the winning bid.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Here's another auction. A "JT COOKE OKF 2008 XL PANEL" that has 8 days left on it, and the current bid is $326.

It's too bad, really. I think of all the artisan pipes I'd like to acquire, JT Cooke really has excellent stout classic shapes. But the auction prices are just over the top.

[HERE]

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
A 31 day set ladies and gentlemen!!!

And this is the same guy who insists briars need not be rested. :rolleyes:
They don't need rest, I just like the shape. There will be more than thirty-one if I find more from different lines, or the elusive 914.

Status
Not open for further replies.