PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Right I’m not saying that sometimes bidding is bidding and obviously the one who wants to pay more will. I am simply putting it out there that over the course of literally hundreds if not thousands of auctions I’ve watched, those with early bids get more attention and more early bids, therefore are more likely to go for a higher price. I have no idea and couldn’t tell you why, though I think it’s simple human curiosity when one sees an amount close to a sale price and thinks “well I could go like $2-4 over that and be fine”. They do that, bid bumped up.

100% of auctions I have won for a steal were sniped. 90% of those had little to no attention before the last 15 minutes.

Reactions: litup and Bowie

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
And you’re right about it not showing the full bid but it does show a bid and gets people curious about beating it. So a more accurate description of a live auction would be to stand up and say “I am highly interested in this item, and I am GOING TO bid on it. 100% for certain “

The absolute only bids I have ever won were when I just bid the highest amount that I would pay for a pipe, and then let it ride. If I get outbid, then Ka sera sera. It just means that someone else wanted to pay more than my maximum, which is fine.
To get into mynute tit for tat trying to win a bid, has never won me a pipe at or around what I think the pipe is worth to me.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Some people will only pay that maximum if there is a bid. It’s like they don’t want to let someone else have it but no bids is fine.

Reactions: Bowie

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Right. And doing it that way is fine! I have just noticed most with early bids or more early bids tend to rise even higher than those without. As a seller I HOPE for early bids because those items sell for more. They have in the past and will continue to do so.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I thought he meant a pipe sells and then you see the exact same one for sale by the exact same seller again the next week. I’ve seen this a lot.

but now I’m not sure ?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I thought he meant a pipe sells and then you see the exact same one for sale by the exact same seller again the next week. I’ve seen this a lot.

but now I’m not sure ?
The winning bidder selling the item for more. Some of them even go as far as using the original posting's photos.

Reactions: oldgeezersmoker
The winning bidder selling the item for more. Some of them even go as far as using the original posting's photos.
Actually, ebay gives you this option just after you win the auction. They ask if you want to sell it, and with one click you get the photos and descriptions used by the original vendor. Well... I've never clicked, but I assumed...

Reactions: SpookedPiper

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Well I see that a lot too but I literally have seen some pipes receive winning bids, but then be relisted once or twice more with winning bids as well. I feel like it’s shill bidding where the seller accidentally won.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Well I see that a lot too but I literally have seen some pipes receive winning bids, but then be relisted once or twice more with winning bids as well. I feel like it’s shill bidding where the seller accidentally won.
Feigning scarcity to garner higher profit.

Reactions: BROBS

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Yes that’s actually exactly what you said?

it’s like showing everyone your hand.

if you made the exact same bid at the end of the auction I bet you would win a lot more. People being naturally curious when they see bids, want to see if they can beat it by just $1 or $2. So best not to show them where you’re at if you don’t have to. And you don’t have to.
I don't think you understand how esnipe works. I pre-set a price I am willing to pay. I set it to bid 5 seconds before the end of the auction and walk away. I don't want to win more, I want to win a few and get a good deal at the same time.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I don't think you understand how esnipe works. I pre-set a price I am willing to pay. I set it to bid 5 seconds before the end of the auction and walk away. I don't want to win more, I want to win a few and get a good deal at the same time.
Ohhhh I didn’t see you were using esnipe. I apologize I misunderstood you. I thought you were placing this bid early and just letting it ride. My bad dude!

I just physically do it in the last 3 seconds because I don’t want to pay for a sniping service ?

Status
Not open for further replies.