PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ukparagolfer

Lurker
May 1, 2018
UK
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Ladies and gents

So I'm getting some real nice taste from my charing light.

Anything else after tastes awful I've tried it all tamping less, tamping more. Packing light packing tight. Different tobaccos.

Same result every time. Hot ash like taste.

Any tips? Considering cigars instead

Last edited by a moderator:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ladies and gents

So I'm getting some real nice taste from my charing light.

Anything else after tastes awful I've tried it all tamping less, tamping more. Packing light packing tight. Different tobaccos.

Same result every time. Hot ash like taste.

Any tips? Considering cigars instead
Have you dried out the tobacco?

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
Empty the tin out onto a plate,and spread out the tobacco.Check on it every hour.As it is drying, you should notice the fragrance of the tobacco in the room.The ambient humidity will affect how fast it dries.10 to 12 % humidity is good for pipe tobacco. Don't power smoke.Hope this helps.?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
If you are getting flavor from the char light and then it goes downhill, you are probably smoking too fast.

Smoking too fast will heat the tobacco up too much and you will lose flavor. This could be causing the hot ash flavor.
yeah 100 percent agree. Slow down and sip the pipe instead of puffing it. Seriously if the char is good and nothing else that's the only explanation I can think of. You nurse a pipe and sip it while taking your time.

PipeDad33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2020
Kansas
I'll add that your tastebuds might need seasoning. For some, it takes some smokes before they start "getting it".
I agree with this. I was smoking way too fast and hard, which ending up with a harsh tasteless smoke and tongue bite. After about a dozen bowls I started to slow down and "sip" which resulted in actually tasing some tobacco notes. Now a few dozen bowls in I can almost pick out different tobaccos. Think of it as a marathon and not a sprint.