PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Do any of you recall the old song titled "At Last" as sung by the late, great, Etta James? Well, I feel like singing it now, for I have just purchased what for me is the pipe of a lifetime, the Peterson Mark Twain model shown in the image below. It included the box and sock, and appears to be in fine condition. The capper is that I was the only bidder!
The sun doesn't shine on this old dog's backside too long or too often, but it certainly did today, and I am a happy man.
$_12.JPG

Jan 8, 2013
Very nice Hunter. Let us know how it smokes. I love my Petes, but I don't have anything as high grade as the Twain pipes. I'm contemplating a silver spigot, but trying to make up my mind if I want to spend that right now.

sidious

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 30, 2014
Congrats hunter. Could you post a few more pics of the pipe?

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
When I looked at that pipe I heard harps and a halo appears around it!
I really like that. I can't imagine winning it in an auction with my original bid.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Someone must have said the Irish Blessing for you. That is a great Pete.
I'm with sidious on the matter of pictures - we need more of them!

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
That should be an easy and rewarding clean-up. I am surprised you did not have competition for that pipe.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Not to spoil the fun, but .... all the Mark Twain Series pipes were stamped "Peterson Mark Twain" whereas this one clearly shows "Peterson Deluxe". While the shape is correct-ish, it's NOT the Mark Twain pipe, nevermind the box. Someone has also either buffed the tenon or smoked it quite a bit, as the Deluxe System stem usually sits quite a bit out of the military mount ( it will fit flush after years and years of use as the wood in the mortise wears down ).

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Great looking classic and sure to smoke like a champion!
Tell us about your first smoke and the blend you chose to do the honors.

Dec 24, 2012
I have one of these - box looks the same but the pipe looks different. See here:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/peterson-mark-twain-pipe

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Like RCStan mentions, my Peterson Twain's stem sits quite a bit out of the military mount. The pipe is also stamped "Mark Twain", though it is faint.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
rcstan, peckinpahhombre, and conlejm:
My thanks to each of you for your sharp eyes, as it appears that I have been duped: right box, wrong pipe! It is en route now, and I will know definitively once it arrives.
peckinpahhombre:
Yours Mark Twain pipe appears to be one of the 1,400 original gold-banded models. According to Richard Carleton Hacker in his book titled "Rare Smoke - The Ultimate Guide to Pipe Collecting" the Mark Twain pipe was originally released as 400 limited-edition pieces, but proved so popular that an additional 1,000 pieces, each individually numbered, followed. Is yours numbered?

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Yeah, the guy who sold it to you doesn't know anything about it and is actually asking for help identifying it on reddit right now. I pointed him to the usual resources. But also told him - he did not sell you a mark twain. I don't know what you paid for it - but I'd say the price difference I wouldn't expect to be too difference since Mark Twains were Deluxe pipes I think so you could always resell it and keep up the search - and keep the box.
http://www.reddit.com/r/PipeTobacco/comments/2xsth8/peterson_pipe/
For comparison - this is my Mark Twain:

3OhuRGPl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.